Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem using Asciidoctor-PDF to format wide autowidth table header cells

jtkorb
I'm having trouble formatting an autowidth table when the header cell is wider than all the cells in the column: the header cell wraps unnecessarily (even if the header is only one word, the last letter wraps).

Here is an example of three tables:

[options="header,autowidth"]
|====
|Header Cell
|text
|====

|====
|Header
|text
|====

|====
|Header
|more text
|====

Formatting with asciidoctor-pdf looks like this...

Conversion to HTML (with plain asciidoctor) works fine.  

Is my syntax incorrect, or is there a workaround I can use?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Problem using Asciidoctor-PDF to format wide autowidth table header cells

mojavelinux
Administrator
You are not doing anything wrong. However, you do need to upgrade prawn-table. This was an upstream bug and has since been fixed. However, prawn-table has yet to be released with this fix, so you have to load the gem from GitHub.

Best,

-Dan

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:07 PM jtkorb [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm having trouble formatting an autowidth table when the header cell is wider than all the cells in the column: the header cell wraps unnecessarily (even if the header is only one word, the last letter wraps).

Here is an example of three tables:

|====
|Header Cell
|text
|====

|====
|Header
|text
|====

|====
|Header
|more text
|====

Formatting with asciidoctor-pdf looks like this...

Conversion to HTML (with plain asciidoctor) works fine.  

Is my syntax incorrect, or is there a workaround I can use?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Problem-using-Asciidoctor-PDF-to-format-wide-autowidth-table-header-cells-tp7220.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

jtkorb
This post was updated on .
Thanks--this solution worked for some of my tables, but (sorry for the trouble), here are two similar tables for which it didn't work:
|=======================================================================
|Operator |Description
|X |Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. 
The output exhibits the same problem: "Operator" is split across two lines, with the second "r" on a line by itself.

The second example...  If a single-word, non-header column cell is long, then it gets wrapped.  For example,
|Operator |Description
|OperatorLong |Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text.
 Output of these two cases is shown below:

EDIT 1: I was able to work around the problem by adding two-four {nbsp}s to the longer cell.

EDIT 2: Actually, using {nbsp} doesn't always work, since the padded cell looks like it spans multiple lines, throwing off the vertical alignment in the row.

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Tim,

This behavior is outside of the scope of Asciidoctor PDF. And it's working as designed in prawn-table. The right column requires more space, so it forces the left column to shrink. This, in turn, shrinks the width of the head cell, which then forces the word to break. The width of the body cell takes precedence over the width of the head cell.

There are two things you could do. First, you can set a ratio for the columns and a width for the table to give the left column more room to breath:

[cols=1;3,width=50%]
|====
|Operator |Description

|X |Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text.
|====

The other solution would be to open a request for prawn-table to support the :disable_wrap_by_char option on cells. We could allow this to be controlled via the Asciidoctor PDF theme. But prawn-table would actually need to honor this setting.

To be honest, I don't really think autowidth has much of a place in PDF generation. It can work in a very limited set of circumstances, but you're always going to be better off setting the column ratios and table width.

Best,

-Dan

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 1:40 PM jtkorb [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks--this solution worked for some of my tables, but (sorry for the trouble), here are two similar tables for which it didn't work:
|Operator |Description
The output exhibits the same problem: "Operator" is split across two lines, with the second "r" on a line by itself.

I read the referenced github issue and tried to solve the problem by inserting non-breaking spaces following the "X", but that didn't (seem) to work.

The second example...  If a single-word, non-header column cell is long, then it gets wrapped.  For example,
|Operator |Description
|OperatorLong |Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text. Lots of text.
 Output of these two cases is shown below:

Maybe there are work-arounds for these...?

Tim

https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Problem-using-Asciidoctor-PDF-to-format-wide-autowidth-table-header-cells-tp7220p7224.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

jtkorb
Thanks for your advice.  I've found autowidth handy to avoid embedding of column width knowledge in the markup, but, as you suggest, we can use column ratios and page width percentage as a workaround.  (Autowidth seems to work well in HTML generation, but since we're trying to generate HTML and PDF (and, eventually, EPUB3) from one set of sources, it seems we should avoid autowidth altogether).
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
That's precisely what I was going to suggest. So you've got it.

Best,

-Dan

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:43 PM jtkorb [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your advice.  I've found autowidth handy to avoid embedding of column width knowledge in the markup, but, as you suggest, we can use column ratios and page width percentage as a workaround.  (Autowidth seems to work well in HTML generation, but since we're trying to generate HTML and PDF (and, eventually, EPUB3) from one set of sources, it seems we should avoid autowidth altogether).

https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Problem-using-Asciidoctor-PDF-to-format-wide-autowidth-table-header-cells-tp7220p7234.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

phgiraud
Hello,
I've got exactly the same problem, using the java versions of Asciidoctor:

asciidoctorj-2.3.1.jar
asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.3.pdf

My source adoc is generated and I can't control column sizing, autowidth is my only option.

Any idea ?

thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Unfortunately, the prawn-table has yet to publish a new release, and sadly it appears the project is stalled. There's not much we can do about this. The workaround is to reconfigure your environment to use the code from the main branch of prawn-table (which is what we do in the test suite).

-Dan

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 5:54 AM phgiraud [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I've got exactly the same problem, using the java versions of Asciidoctor:

asciidoctorj-2.3.1.jar
asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.3.pdf

My source adoc is generated and I can't control column sizing, autowidth is my only option.

Any idea ?

thanks

https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Problem-using-Asciidoctor-PDF-to-format-wide-autowidth-table-header-cells-tp7220p8098.html
NAML

--
Dan Allen (he, him, his) | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

phgiraud
Thanks for your reply. How can you force a specific dependency? Under Gradle, we use:

runtime_asciidoctor (
        'org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj:2.3.1',
        'org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj-pdf:1.5.3'
    )

And I guess that the prawn library comes as a dependency of asciidoctorj-pdf.
But we can't control its version number.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
It's more than just forcing a dependency. You'd have to run the dependency from source.

Except you would be replacing prawn-table rather than asciidoctor-pdf.

Best Regards,

-Dan

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:03 AM phgiraud [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your reply. How can you force a specific dependency? Under Gradle, we use: runtime_asciidoctor ( 'org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj:2.3.1', 'org.asciidoctor:asciidoctorj-pdf:1.5.3' ) And I guess that the prawn library comes as a dependency of asciidoctorj-pdf. But we can't control its version number.

https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Problem-using-Asciidoctor-PDF-to-format-wide-autowidth-table-header-cells-tp7220p8101.html
NAML

--
Dan Allen (he, him, his) | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux