Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Circular dependencies

johncarl81
An idea popped up on IRC today that I think we need to discuss so we can plan future releases.  Namely, AJI (asciidoctor-java-integration) is expected to use Asciidoclet as is the maven plugin.  Since Asciidoclet uses AJI we're going to run into a problem with releasing AJI and Asciidoclet as non-SNAPSHOTs.  Either AJI will have to use an older version of Asciidoclet (one behind?) or we will have to figure out another strategy.

Thoughts on this?  Is there a way we can release the two projects in tandem?  Are there any other circular dependencies to worry about?  Any other strategies that come to mind?

John
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Circular dependencies

LightGuardjp
There certainly does seem to be a circular dependency here. I think the best way to do this is to use a version behind for doclet and aji. For maven and gradle I think it's less of an use because we'll use whatever is most current after aji releases.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM, johncarl81 [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
An idea popped up on IRC today that I think we need to discuss so we can plan future releases.  Namely, AJI (asciidoctor-java-integration) is expected to use Asciidoclet as is the maven plugin.  Since Asciidoclet uses AJI we're going to run into a problem with releasing AJI and Asciidoclet as non-SNAPSHOTs.  Either AJI will have to use an older version of Asciidoclet (one behind?) or we will have to figure out another strategy.

Thoughts on this?  Is there a way we can release the two projects in tandem?  Are there any other circular dependencies to worry about?  Any other strategies that come to mind?

John

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Circular-dependencies-tp248.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
Hi, I would not consider this "problem" as circular dependencies, in a different environment but in my opinion almost the same Compilers Bootstraping
Reply | Threaded
|

johncarl81
This post was updated on .
Yes, I agree that this parallels compiler bootstrapping.

With that in mind, do you have any other solution ideas?

I could see using some sort of shared project as the bootstrap, which would allow both projects to use a common version of Asciidoctor.  However, I think this may be overkill for this situation and I still prefer the idea of AJI using one version behind of Asciidoclet.

Thoughts?

If we go with the one-version-behind idea, I can issue a release now of 0.1.2 so 0.1.3 of AJI will have a released version of Asciidoclet.
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
Well this weekend I am going to release the 0.1.3 version so, I think that you could release next week doclet with version 0.1.3 of AJI. Then for next release I will migrate all javadoc to AsciiDoc, and it will be rendered with version 0.1.3. I think that because of nature of javadoc it would not be necessary to use the latest version of AJI. What you think?
Reply | Threaded
|

johncarl81
Sounds perfect Alex.  I'll release Asciidoclet after you release AJI.
John
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by johncarl81
I think that relying on a stable version of Asciidoclet is reasonable. This removes the circular dependency because we look at the Doclet as just another tool, not as an integrated part of the build/dependencies.

-Dan

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM, johncarl81 [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I agree that this parallels compiler bootstrapping.

With that in mind, do you have any other solutions for this problem in mind?

I could see using some sort of shared project as the bootstrap, which would allow both projects to use a common version of Asciidoctor.  However, I think this may be overkill for this situation and I still prefer the idea of AJI using one version behind of Asciidoclet.

Thoughts?

If we go with the one-version-behind idea, I can issue a release now of 1.2.1 so 1.3.1 of AJI will have a released version of Asciidoclet.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Circular-dependencies-tp248p252.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--