classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AsciidoctorJ

mojavelinux
Administrator
As I write and speak about Asciidoctor, I often wrestle with the name "Asciidoctor Java Integration" because it's verbose and doesn't always fit in the context of a sentence. In other words, it would be nice if it had a single-word name.

I'd like to propose the short name AsciidoctorJ for the Java integration project. I like it because it follows along with the naming convention of the JavaScript integration (Asciidoctor.js) and the JavaDoc integration (Asciidoclet), and it rolls off the tongue just as easily.

I also like it because it's a cool name. Why? When I was growing up, one of the best basketball players on the court was Julius Erving, known best as "Dr. J". He popularized the slam dunk. How cool is that? We want to school folks about how to slam dunk documentation in Java, so we give them AsciidoctorJ :)

For now, I'd only suggest change the repository name (asciidoctorj)*, not necessarily the artifacts or packages. The focus is on giving the project a name we can use when writing and speaking about it...its popular name. Technically, it's still the Java integration, so both names fit.

wdyt?

-Dan

* GitHub will redirect from the old name to the new name, so this change won't break existing links.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AsciidoctorJ

LightGuardjp
Sounds fine to me. I'd suggest going through with the big rename for 1.5.0

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 22, 2013, at 16:43, "mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

As I write and speak about Asciidoctor, I often wrestle with the name "Asciidoctor Java Integration" because it's verbose and doesn't always fit in the context of a sentence. In other words, it would be nice if it had a single-word name.

I'd like to propose the short name AsciidoctorJ for the Java integration project. I like it because it follows along with the naming convention of the JavaScript integration (Asciidoctor.js) and the JavaDoc integration (Asciidoclet), and it rolls off the tongue just as easily.

I also like it because it's a cool name. Why? When I was growing up, one of the best basketball players on the court was Julius Erving, known best as "Dr. J". He popularized the slam dunk. How cool is that? We want to school folks about how to slam dunk documentation in Java, so we give them AsciidoctorJ :)

For now, I'd only suggest change the repository name (asciidoctorj)*, not necessarily the artifacts or packages. The focus is on giving the project a name we can use when writing and speaking about it...its popular name. Technically, it's still the Java integration, so both names fit.

wdyt?

-Dan

* GitHub will redirect from the old name to the new name, so this change won't break existing links.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/AsciidoctorJ-tp844.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
I remember discussing exactly this when we start the Asciidoctor-Java-Integration project and we arrived to the conclusion that because the solution it was not a pure Java solution, we could name Asciidoctor-Java-Integration because it was an integration. Said that, I prefer AsciidoctorJ because as Dan suggested it is easy to pronounce and shorter write. So for 1.5.0, let's change the name!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Excellent! A slam dunk!

-Dan
Reply | Threaded
|