Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Appendix sectnums

pepijnve
Asciidoc 0.1.4 assigns nice captions to appendices, but these aren't reflected in the sectnums. If I enable numbering, I'm getting output that looks like this
1. Section 1
2. Appendix A
  2.1 Subsection 1

What I would prefer to see is
1. Section 1
Appendix A
  A.1 Subsection 1

I've monkey patched this in with the following bit of code, but it feels rather kludgy. The upside of patching sectnum is that this is automatically reflected everywhere throughout the document. Is there a better way to do this?
def sectnum(delimiter = '.', append = nil)
  append ||= (append == false ? '' : delimiter)

if !@level.nil? && @level > 1 && @parent.is_a?(Section)
    if @parent.appendix_number
      "#{@parent.appendix_number}#{delimiter}#{@number}#{append}"
    else
      "#{@parent.sectnum(delimiter)}#{@number}#{append}"
    end
  else
    if appendix_number
      ""
    else
      "#{@number}#{append}"
    end

end
end
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Appendix sectnums

mojavelinux
Administrator
Pepijn,

The numbering scheme you're suggesting is a great idea. Right now, the monkeypatch you implemented appears to be the simplest solution. I don't think you should feel uneasy about doing it that way.

To explain the output you're getting, with the goal of making the appropriate design change...

In AsciiDoc Python, the responsibility falls on the writer to turn off numbering around special sections like appendices. For example:

```asciidoc
== Sample section

content

:numbered!:

[appendix]
== Sample appendix

content
```

If the numbering is left on, as you have observed, it looks rather strange :/

I'm planning to introduce a new attribute in Asciidoctor 1.5.0 that allows you to control whether special sections (like appendices) are numbered [1]. What I'm wondering with whether we can expand the scope of that change so that you not only control whether the special sections are numbered, but also how. Perhaps there are three states for this attribute:

* specialnumbered!
* specialnumbered
* specialnumbered: natural

The new value is the last one, "natural". It would number the special sections using a natural numbering approach, which would mean "A.1" for the first subsection of the first appendix.

Keep in mind the name of this attribute is only tentative. If someone suggests a better name, by all means, we'll change it.

Of course, that option I just presented is quite limited if you are looking for broad control over section numbering. Since we're proposing to make the section id generator an extension point [2], it makes sense for the section number generator to be extension point as well.

In summary, I think we should do it. I'd like to hear your thoughts about whether you think these proposals are reasonable, or if you have other ideas about how it should work. The only thing to keep in mind is that we still need to be able to emulate the AsciiDoc behavior through some means (such as an attribute) to maintain compatibility.

-Dan

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Asciidoc 0.1.4 assigns nice captions to appendices, but these aren't reflected in the sectnums. If I enable numbering, I'm getting output that looks like this
1. Section 1
2. Appendix A
  2.1 Subsection 1

1. Section 1
Appendix A
  A.1 Subsection 1

I've monkey patched this in with the following bit of code, but it feels rather kludgy. The upside of patching sectnum is that this is automatically reflected everywhere throughout the document. Is there a better way to do this?

else
    end
  else
    if appendix_number
      ""
    else
      "#{@number}#{append}"
    end

end
end

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Appendix-sectnums-tp706.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by pepijnve
I was doing some more thinking on this issue, and I'm inclined to agree that the numbering of appendices is simply a bug. When a letter is assigned to a special section, of which appendix is the only example, the subsection numbering should use that letter in the first position. I'll file an issue.

One question. If there's a section after the appendix, should a gap remain in the numbers or should it continue with the next number in the sequence? For instance, is this correct?

1. Section One
  1.1. Subsection of Section One
Appendix A: Sample Appendix
  A.1 Subsection of Sample Appendix
2. Section Two

(I realize this ordering is highly unlikely, but just in case).

-Dan

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pepijn,

The numbering scheme you're suggesting is a great idea. Right now, the monkeypatch you implemented appears to be the simplest solution. I don't think you should feel uneasy about doing it that way.

To explain the output you're getting, with the goal of making the appropriate design change...

In AsciiDoc Python, the responsibility falls on the writer to turn off numbering around special sections like appendices. For example:

```asciidoc
== Sample section

content

[appendix]
== Sample appendix

content
```

I'm planning to introduce a new attribute in Asciidoctor 1.5.0 that allows you to control whether special sections (like appendices) are numbered [1]. What I'm wondering with whether we can expand the scope of that change so that you not only control whether the special sections are numbered, but also how. Perhaps there are three states for this attribute:

* specialnumbered!
* specialnumbered

The new value is the last one, "natural". It would number the special sections using a natural numbering approach, which would mean "A.1" for the first subsection of the first appendix.

Keep in mind the name of this attribute is only tentative. If someone suggests a better name, by all means, we'll change it.

Of course, that option I just presented is quite limited if you are looking for broad control over section numbering. Since we're proposing to make the section id generator an extension point [2], it makes sense for the section number generator to be extension point as well.

In summary, I think we should do it. I'd like to hear your thoughts about whether you think these proposals are reasonable, or if you have other ideas about how it should work. The only thing to keep in mind is that we still need to be able to emulate the AsciiDoc behavior through some means (such as an attribute) to maintain compatibility.

-Dan

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
1. Section 1
2. Appendix A
  2.1 Subsection 1

1. Section 1
Appendix A
  A.1 Subsection 1

else
    end
  else
    if appendix_number
      ""
    else
      "#{@number}#{append}"
    end

end
end

NAML

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by pepijnve

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was doing some more thinking on this issue, and I'm inclined to agree that the numbering of appendices is simply a bug. When a letter is assigned to a special section, of which appendix is the only example, the subsection numbering should use that letter in the first position. I'll file an issue.

One question. If there's a section after the appendix, should a gap remain in the numbers or should it continue with the next number in the sequence? For instance, is this correct?

1. Section One
  1.1. Subsection of Section One
Appendix A: Sample Appendix
  A.1 Subsection of Sample Appendix
2. Section Two

(I realize this ordering is highly unlikely, but just in case).

-Dan

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pepijn,

```asciidoc
== Sample section

content

[appendix]
== Sample appendix

content
```

* specialnumbered!
* specialnumbered

-Dan

1. Section 1
2. Appendix A
  2.1 Subsection 1

1. Section 1
Appendix A
  A.1 Subsection 1

else
    end
  else
    if appendix_number
      ""
    else
      "#{@number}#{append}"
    end

end
end

NAML

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

pepijnve
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Hi Dan,

Both options look ok to me, but I think I'm leaning towards considering it a bug in the numbering.

If this is considered a bug, then what impact does that have on the sectnum for the appendix title? Currently 'Appendix A' is stored in the 'appendix-number' attribute. Should it become the sectnum instead then? Seems to make more sense than having an empty sectnum like in my patch, but it does require special handling when deriving the sectnum for child sections to avoid 'Appendix A.1'.

The gap in the numbering that you suggested seems to make sense. As you said it's unlikely to occur, but when it does continuing the regular numbering where it left off seems the logical thing to do.

Just for completeness' sake I noticed that I forgot part of my patch. Here's the missing appendix_number function

def appendix_number
  entry = Array === attributes[:attribute_entries] && attributes[:attribute_entries].find { |entry| entry.name == 'appendix-number' }
  entry ? entry.value : nil
end
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Both options look ok to me, but I think I'm leaning towards considering it a bug in the numbering.

Agreed.

If this is considered a bug, then what impact does that have on the sectnum for the appendix title? Currently 'Appendix A' is stored in the 'appendix-number' attribute. Should it become the sectnum instead then? Seems to make more sense than having an empty sectnum like in my patch, but it does require special handling when deriving the sectnum for child sections to avoid 'Appendix A.1'. 

I've implemented a solution that performs the work in the assign_index method. I outline the rules I followed in this comment:

The gap in the numbering that you suggested seems to make sense. As you said it's unlikely to occur, but when it does continuing the regular numbering where it left off seems the logical thing to do.

Just for completeness' sake I noticed that I forgot part of my patch. Here's the missing appendix_number function

def appendix_number
  entry = Array === attributes[:attribute_entries] && attributes[:attribute_entries].find { |entry| entry.name == 'appendix-number' }
  entry ? entry.value : nil
end

I took a similar approach, but found a simpler way to implement it by changing where I store the appendix-number. You can see the solution in this pull request:

Let me know what you think. If it looks good, I'll merge it in. If not, feel free to send a pull request to my issue-683 branch.

-Dan

--
Reply | Threaded
|

pepijnve
This post was updated on .
Looks like a clean fix to me. Keeps all the numbering logic together in one place.

Edit: removed assign_caption comment. I looked at the entire code rather than just the patch and it makes sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks like a clean fix to me. Keeps all the numbering logic together in one place.

Excellent.

Is the caption bit in assign_index needed though? I would expect assign_caption to handle that already.

Suffice to say, that code needs some refactoring. The assign_caption is currently biased towards assigning the caption (i.e., legend) to a formal block (like a Table 1, Figure 2, Example 3, etc), so it won't work for the appendix case atm. There's an open issue to rework how those captions are created, so I'll tack this refactoring onto that issue.

-Dan

--