classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windows testing

mojavelinux
Administrator
I have good news to share (though, you might be surprised to hear this information coming from me).

Microsoft OpenTech, the group working on open source projects for Azure, has provided complimentary resources for testing Asciidoctor on Windows. The pledge comes in the form of $200 of computing resources per month on Azure (which is enough to leave a VM running almost the whole month). What this means is that I can run the test suite on Windows continuously.

I'm hacking up a script that will create and start a VM, run the tests, then shutdown the machine and destroy it (for some reason, that last part feels rather gratifying :)) The idea is to eventually get the script to run as continuously as possible...and on more than just Asciidoctor core.

If you need to test a feature on Windows, just mention it in the comment of the issue and I'll get you setup. Eventually, we may be able to hook that into a script that spawns a machine automatically, but we'll see.

This contribution by Microsoft OpenTech is important because it allows us to stay true to the promise of portability that Ruby enables and gives everyone equal opportunity to use a functional Asciidoctor, even those running on Windows. Anyone know if Apple is willing to match it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windows testing

LightGuardjp
Which version(s) can we run?

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have good news to share (though, you might be surprised to hear this information coming from me).

Microsoft OpenTech, the group working on open source projects for Azure, has provided complimentary resources for testing Asciidoctor on Windows. The pledge comes in the form of $200 of computing resources per month on Azure (which is enough to leave a VM running almost the whole month). What this means is that I can run the test suite on Windows continuously.

I'm hacking up a script that will create and start a VM, run the tests, then shutdown the machine and destroy it (for some reason, that last part feels rather gratifying :)) The idea is to eventually get the script to run as continuously as possible...and on more than just Asciidoctor core.

If you need to test a feature on Windows, just mention it in the comment of the issue and I'll get you setup. Eventually, we may be able to hook that into a script that spawns a machine automatically, but we'll see.

This contribution by Microsoft OpenTech is important because it allows us to stay true to the promise of portability that Ruby enables and gives everyone equal opportunity to use a functional Asciidoctor, even those running on Windows. Anyone know if Apple is willing to match it?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Ah, I knew I was leaving something out.

The versions are listed on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee924680.aspx

Basically, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012.

It really shouldn't matter too much because most of the compatibility problems are related to path handling, which has been the same since DOS. There are some differences when using PowerShell, but usually in the less-likely-to-fail direction.

-Dan

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM, LightGuardjp [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p947.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
I hope those are the only issues. I'd hate for someone to come and say I'm using Windows 8 (or XP/Vista etc) and we can't trouble shoot it because it's something specific to that version.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The versions are listed on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee924680.aspx

It really shouldn't matter too much because most of the compatibility problems are related to path handling, which has been the same since DOS. There are some differences when using PowerShell, but usually in the less-likely-to-fail direction.

-Dan

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM, LightGuardjp [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

NAML

NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p948.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM, LightGuardjp [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I hope those are the only issues. I'd hate for someone to come and say I'm using Windows 8 (or XP/Vista etc) and we can't trouble shoot it because it's something specific to that version.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The fact that we can test on Windows at all is already a huge improvement :)

-Dan

--
Reply | Threaded
|

graphitefriction
Administrator
In reply to this post by LightGuardjp
I don't think we should worry about Windows Vista, it's only about 3-4% of the market and is no longer supported. As for XP SP3, it will hit EOL in April 2014 (no more updates/security fixes) but it does look like it still holds about 35% of the market. I think I can get my hands on an XP computer between now and January to test some things out.

-S

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM, LightGuardjp [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

-Dan

NAML

NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p948.html
NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p954.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

graphitefriction
Administrator
In reply to this post by LightGuardjp
And this would be why OSs should be numbered. My bad, Vista is actually newer than XP, but I guess Vista had pretty crappy adoption, as a lot more people are still on XP, though it is older.
However, both XP and Vista no longer have 'mainstream' support (whatever mainstream means). XP 'extended' support ends in April 2014, Vista's in 2017. Despite still having 'extended' support, I still don't think we should worry about Vista. The migration path recommended to the XP users is to migrate to Windows 7. Windows 7 is the next 'long term' supported Microsoft OS. (Does this mean Windows 8 will only be supported for the short term???)

Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
WRT Windows versions: Yes, they should be numbered, and they were until Windows 98 SE see [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Microsoft_Windows](Windows Timeline).

A larger question, is Microsoft OpenTech making this available for all Open Source projects, or is that still something we're working on? There are so many things that "run" on Windows (but I don't have a box that runs Windows, so let me know of problems). It would be a very good gesture for Microsoft, and great PR for them to do so, though I doubt Ballmer understands that. Maybe with the next CEO?

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM, graphitefriction [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
And this would be why OSs should be numbered. My bad, Vista is actually newer than XP, but I guess Vista had pretty crappy adoption, as a lot more people are still on XP, though it is older.
However, both XP and Vista no longer have 'mainstream' support (whatever mainstream means). XP 'extended' support ends in April 2014, Vista's in 2017. Despite still having 'extended' support, I still don't think we should worry about Vista. The migration path recommended to the XP users is to migrate to Windows 7. Windows 7 is the next 'long term' supported Microsoft OS. (Does this mean Windows 8 will only be supported for the short term???)

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p959.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

They seem to be quite open to supporting any project that approaches them. I got connected with them through Twitter via one of Bartosz' colleagues also looking to test an open source project on Windows. Note that MS will be at Devoxx, so you could talk to someone to find out their position.

We can use this subscription for Awestruct testing as well since that's still in the spirit & scope of support for Asciidoctor. Beyond that it's probably best to make a separate request.

-Dan

On Nov 6, 2013 6:21 PM, "LightGuardjp [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
WRT Windows versions: Yes, they should be numbered, and they were until Windows 98 SE see [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Microsoft_Windows](Windows Timeline).

A larger question, is Microsoft OpenTech making this available for all Open Source projects, or is that still something we're working on? There are so many things that "run" on Windows (but I don't have a box that runs Windows, so let me know of problems). It would be a very good gesture for Microsoft, and great PR for them to do so, though I doubt Ballmer understands that. Maybe with the next CEO?

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM, graphitefriction [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p959.html
NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Windows-testing-tp944p962.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
I think it is a good thing for us and for Microsoft the movement they have taken to opensource community. In this case I have to say that Microsoft has done a really good job.

I don't know if Apple provides something like Microsoft, at least I can say that it works on my Mac :P