classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
MC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New to Asciidoctor, please help

MC
I've been trying to generate some HTML manual pages using Asciidoctor Maven plugin (0.1.4) and I noticed that its output is slightly different from Asciidoc. Specifically, here's the source text:

[verse]
'something' the rest of the text

Here's what Asciidoc produces:
<div class="verseblock">
    <div class="verseblock-content"><em>something</em> the rest of the text</div>
    <div class="verseblock-attribution"></div>
</div>
And here's what Asciidoctor does with the same source:
<div class="verseblock">
    <pre class="content">'something' the rest of the text</pre>
</div>
That <pre> tag is a problem because it ignores markup (things like single quotes that would normally translate to <em>). Does anybody know how to make it stop using <pre>?

(NB: I suppose I could use [quote] because it respects markup, but it still looks different from [verse] blocks generated by Asciidoc, so I'd rather avoid it if possible)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New to Asciidoctor, please help

mojavelinux
Administrator
MC,

Welcome!

The lack of text formatting in a verse block was a problem in Asciidoctor 0.1.4 and has since been resolved in the Asciidoctor 1.5.0 development cycle. (See {issue-799})

You'll need to set the version of AsciidoctorJ in your dependencies to the latest available, which is 1.5.0.preview.2 (See {asciidoctorj-preview}). Alex or Jason can perhaps fill you in about how to use this version with the Maven plugin.

The text formatting is not related to the use of the <pre> tag. Those tags only affect how the text is formatted after the emphasis has been applied. Asciidoctor's output of using <pre> tags around the content is consistent with the html5 backend in AsciiDoc Python.

I hope that helps. Let us know if we can assist you further.

Cheers!

-Dan

:issue-799: https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/issues/799
:asciidoctorj-preview: https://bintray.com/lordofthejars/maven/asciidoctorj/1.5.0.preview2/view/files/org/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj/1.5.0.preview2

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM, MC [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been trying to generate some HTML manual pages using Asciidoctor Maven plugin (0.1.4) and I noticed that its output is slightly different from Asciidoc. Specifically, here's the source text:

[verse]
'something' the rest of the text

Here's what Asciidoc produces:
<div class="verseblock">
    <div class="verseblock-content"><em>something</em> the rest of the text</div>
    <div class="verseblock-attribution"></div>
</div>
And here's what Asciidoctor does with the same source:
<div class="verseblock">
    <pre class="content">'something' the rest of the text</pre>
</div>
That <pre> tag is a problem because it ignores markup (things like single quotes that would normally translate to <em>). Does anybody know how to make it stop using <pre>?

(NB: I suppose I could use [quote] because it respects markup, but it still looks different from [verse] blocks generated by Asciidoc, so I'd rather avoid it if possible)

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/New-to-Asciidoctor-please-help-tp1729.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--