Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best practice for long titles?

tsphillips
What is the best practice for long titles? I have long document titles that are not rendering well by themselves. Is there a way to insert a line break in the title? Is there a way to render a title and subtitle?

Tom
Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best practice for long titles?

Ted
You could add a sub-title by using the (H2)

= This is the main title of the article

== This further describes the article

This is the overview and first paragraph.

I try to distill the titles down to the subject, which I try to describe in less than five words. I guess that is writing advice not a technical solution.

Then I usually follow up with an overview, which is the first paragraph. That explains what the title and article is all about.

If I have a series of articles, I try to categorize them. This category hierarchy helps make the article titles shorter because the parent category helps describe the subject.

If you really cannot make your titles shorter, you could create a custom style sheet (CSS) and make your H1 and H2 headers a smaller font, so it fits on the page better.

- Ted @TedAtCIS
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best practice for long titles?

mojavelinux
Administrator
Great points, Ted.

It's possible to split the document title into a main title and subtitle {1}, but even that doesn't show on different lines in the current HTML output. We have plans to support subtitles for all section levels. See issue #1493 {2}.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Ted [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could add a sub-title by using the (H2)

= This is the main title of the article

== This further describes the article

This is the overview and first paragraph.

I try to distill the titles down to the subject, which I try to describe in less than five words. I guess that is writing advice not a technical solution.

Then I usually follow up with an overview, which is the first paragraph. That explains what the title and article is all about.

If I have a series of articles, I try to categorize them. This category hierarchy helps make the article titles shorter because the parent category helps describe the subject.

If you really cannot make your titles shorter, you could create a custom style sheet (CSS) and make your H1 and H2 headers a smaller font, so it fits on the page better.

- Ted @TedAtCIS

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Best-practice-for-long-titles-tp4676p4677.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen