Open this post in threaded view
|

nokogiri error when installing asciidoctor-epub3

mbc
Hi!

I'm getting the following error when installing asciidoctor-epub3 in Windows:

>gem install asciidoctor-epub3 --pre
ERROR:  Error installing asciidoctor-epub3:
        nokogiri requires Ruby version < 2.4, >= 1.9.2.

These are my current installed versions of ruby and nokogiri:

> ruby --version
ruby 2.4.3p205 (2017-12-14 revision 61247) [x64-mingw32]

> nokogiri --version
# Nokogiri (1.10.1)

I'm afraid I have to downgrade ruby.
But, is there any other solution?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: nokogiri error when installing asciidoctor-epub3

Andrew Carver
Nokogiri will now accept up to Ruby v. 2.5.x; I ran it on Ruby 2.6.x today, after upgrading to nokogiri 1.8.5, and got this:
nokogiri requires Ruby version >= 2.2, < 2.6. The current ruby version is 2.6.3.62.

Running Ruby under a package manager makes it easier to update/upgrade. So, on Windows, I'm using Chocolatey to install/upgrade.

When I do a minor-version upgrade, like 2.5 -> 2.6, a nice thing with Chocolatey is that it leaves the 2.5 install alone, in its own folder, and puts the new, 2.6 version in a different folder. Then you can change which Ruby version you're using, just by changing the filepath for it in your PATH environment variable (e.g., edit it to have either
C:\tools\ruby25\bin
or
C:\tools\ruby26\bin
A very slight downside is that you have to re-install your self-installed gems, including Asciidoctor, in the new Ruby version; they won't carry over from the old version).
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Thanks for the info Andrew!

FYI, the underlying nokogiri issue was fixed in the latest release per https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-epub3/issues/177.

Best,

-Dan

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 4:47 PM Andrew Carver [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nokogiri will now accept up to Ruby v. 2.5.x; I ran it on Ruby 2.6.x today, after upgrading to nokogiri 1.8.5, and got this:
nokogiri requires Ruby version >= 2.2, < 2.6. The current ruby version is 2.6.3.62.

Running Ruby under a package manager makes it easier to update/upgrade. So, on Windows, I'm using Chocolatey to install/upgrade.

When I do a minor-version upgrade, like 2.5 -> 2.6, a nice thing with Chocolatey is that it leaves the 2.5 install alone, in its own folder, and puts the new, 2.6 version in a different folder. Then you can change which Ruby version you're using, just by changing the filepath for it in your PATH environment variable (e.g., edit it to have either
C:\tools\ruby25\bin
or
C:\tools\ruby26\bin
A very slight downside is that you have to re-install your self-installed gems, including Asciidoctor, in the new Ruby version; they won't carry over from the old version).

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/nokogiri-error-when-installing-asciidoctor-epub3-tp6733p6953.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Carver
Thanks Dan.
May I ask you, then, whether the below sequence run just now on Ruby 2.6.x indicates the nokogiri dependency needs upgrading in asciidoctor-bibliography?
C:\Users\acarver>gem install nokogiri -v 1.8.5
ERROR:  Error installing nokogiri:
        The last version of nokogiri (= 1.8.5) to support your Ruby & RubyGems was 1.8.5. Try installing it with `gem install nokogiri -v 1.8.5`

C:\Users\acarver>gem install asciidoctor
Fetching asciidoctor-2.0.10.gem
Successfully installed asciidoctor-2.0.10
Parsing documentation for asciidoctor-2.0.10
Installing ri documentation for asciidoctor-2.0.10
Done installing documentation for asciidoctor after 15 seconds
1 gem installed

C:\Users\acarver>gem install asciidoctor-bibliography
ERROR:  Error installing asciidoctor-bibliography:
        The last version of nokogiri (~> 1.8.1) to support your Ruby & RubyGems was 1.8.5. Try installing it with `gem install nokogiri -v 1.8.5` and then running the current command again
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Carver
P.S. I'm also baffled by asciidoctor 2.0.10 installing just fine without installing nokogiri...??
(I think the below warning about "the last version of nokogiri ... to support your Ruby & RubyGems  was 1.8.5" was probably because I'd already installed asciidoctor 1.5.8, which depends on that version.)

Andrew Carver wrote
Thanks Dan.
May I ask you, then, whether the below sequence run just now on Ruby 2.6.x indicates the nokogiri dependency needs upgrading in asciidoctor-bibliography?
        The last version of nokogiri (= 1.8.5) to support your Ruby & RubyGems was 1.8.5. Try installing it with `gem install nokogiri -v 1.8.5`

1 gem installed

The last version of nokogiri (~> 1.8.1) to support your Ruby & RubyGems was 1.8.5. Try installing it with `gem install nokogiri -v 1.8.5` and then running the current command again
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Carver
Oh my -- the rabbit-hole goes even deeper:
To run something with asciidoctor-bibliography, of course I had to change my PATH variable back to Ruby 2.5 -- in which I've got these relevant gems installed:
asciidoctor (2.0.10, 1.5.7.1, 1.5.7)
asciidoctor-bibliography (0.10.0, 0.8.0, 0.7.2)
bibtex-ruby (5.0.0, 4.4.6)

But when I ran it, I got this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
        14: from C:/tools/ruby25/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `<main>'
        13: from C:/tools/ruby25/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `load'
        12: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/bin/asciidoctor:13:in `<top (required)>'
        11: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/bin/asciidoctor:13:in `new'
        10: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:24:in `initialize'
         9: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:34:in `parse!'
         8: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:274:in `parse!'
         7: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:274:in `each'
         6: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:276:in `block in parse!'
         5: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:39:in `require'
         4: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:128:in `rescue in require'
         3: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems.rb:217:in `try_activate'
         2: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems.rb:224:in `rescue in try_activate'
         1: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/specification.rb:1438:in `activate'
C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/specification.rb:2325:in `raise_if_conflicts': Unable to activate asciidoctor-bibliography-0.10.0, because asciidoctor-2.0.10 conflicts with asciidoctor (~> 1.5.6) (Gem::ConflictError)

What -- if you know -- does that last line mean??

Andrew Carver wrote
P.S. I'm also baffled by asciidoctor 2.0.10 installing just fine without installing nokogiri...??
(I think the below warning about "the last version of nokogiri ... to support your Ruby & RubyGems  was 1.8.5" was probably because I'd already installed asciidoctor 1.5.8, which depends on that version.)

Andrew Carver wrote
Thanks Dan.

1 gem installed

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Carver
P.S. On that last one, NEVER MIND: They fixed it -- less than 24 hours ago -- on asciidoctor-bibliography!

https://github.com/riboseinc/asciidoctor-bibliography/issues/99

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Carver wrote
Oh my -- the rabbit-hole goes even deeper:
To run something with asciidoctor-bibliography, of course I had to change my PATH variable back to Ruby 2.5 -- in which I've got these relevant gems installed:
asciidoctor (2.0.10, 1.5.7.1, 1.5.7)
asciidoctor-bibliography (0.10.0, 0.8.0, 0.7.2)
bibtex-ruby (5.0.0, 4.4.6)

But when I ran it, I got this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
        14: from C:/tools/ruby25/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `<main>'
        13: from C:/tools/ruby25/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `load'
        12: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/bin/asciidoctor:13:in `<top (required)>'
        11: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/bin/asciidoctor:13:in `new'
        10: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:24:in `initialize'
         9: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:34:in `parse!'
         8: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:274:in `parse!'
         7: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:274:in `each'
         6: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/cli/options.rb:276:in `block in parse!'
         5: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:39:in `require'
         4: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:128:in `rescue in require'
         3: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems.rb:217:in `try_activate'
         2: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems.rb:224:in `rescue in try_activate'
         1: from C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/specification.rb:1438:in `activate'
C:/tools/ruby25/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems/specification.rb:2325:in `raise_if_conflicts': Unable to activate asciidoctor-bibliography-0.10.0, because asciidoctor-2.0.10 conflicts with asciidoctor (~> 1.5.6) (Gem::ConflictError)

What -- if you know -- does that last line mean??

Andrew Carver wrote

Andrew Carver wrote
Thanks Dan.

1 gem installed