classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

merging docs into one

jmarley
Hi All,

Is there a way to merge multiple asciidoctor docs into 1 document? E.g. I have docs A and B and want to merge two into C. I think I can use cat, but think that would mess up my formatting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: merging docs into one

LightGuardjp
Merge the source files together or just the output?

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:55 AM, jmarley [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

Is there a way to merge multiple asciidoctor docs into 1 document? E.g. I have docs A and B and want to merge two into C. I think I can use cat, but think that would mess up my formatting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/merging-docs-into-one-tp1678.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

jmarley
Both ways would be helpful. I recently listened to the podcast via jboss asylum and the team referenced having short documents and then being able to merge into 1 document or many documents quickly and seamlessly. I've been impressed so far and has helped me create good documentation quickly, but I am going about the approach of creating many shorter topic documents and will want to combine at some point into a more full document.
Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
You can do an include currently. We've been talking about other options for sub documents, include is what we have today. 

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM, jmarley [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Both ways would be helpful. I recently listened to the podcast via jboss asylum and the team referenced having short documents and then being able to merge into 1 document or many documents quickly and seamlessly. I've been impressed so far and has helped me create good documentation quickly, but I am going about the approach of creating many shorter topic documents and will want to combine at some point into a more full document.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/merging-docs-into-one-tp1678p1681.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Yes, include is the best approach today, with sub documents being the ideal solution. You can implement true sub documents today using an Asciidoctor extension, but we'd like to make this official.

The benefit of sub documents over includes is that:

* sub documents will be processed with awareness of the document structure (as block macros) instead of preprocessor directives
* sub documents will read the header of the document being merged (the include directive does not do this)

See how far you can get with the include directive to start.

While it's possible to merge documents after they are converted, I think that's a crude solution. If we merge prior to converting, we have a lot more control about what to create.

-Dan

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM, LightGuardjp [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can do an include currently. We've been talking about other options for sub documents, include is what we have today. 

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM, jmarley [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/merging-docs-into-one-tp1678p1681.html
NAML

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/merging-docs-into-one-tp1678p1682.html
NAML

--