classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

extensions repositories

mojavelinux
Administrator
I know we discussed having an extensions repository at some point, but I can't find the thread to continue on, so I just started a new one.

Eventually, I think each extension should get it's own repository in the Asciidoctor organization (or anywhere else you want to host it if). For Asciidoctor (Ruby) extensions, I propose the projects be named:

asciidoctor-<integration>

For example, the PlantUML integration is named:

asciidoctor-plantuml

For AsciidoctorJ, I propose the projects be named:

asciidoctorj-<integration>

That way, it's easy to find them and we are consistent.

For sample extensions, and extensions that are still in an experimental phase, I'd like to offer two "lab" repositories. One is for Asciidoctor extensions, the other for AsciidoctorJ extensions.

* asciidoctor-extensions-lab
* asciidoctorj-extensions-lab

Each extension should go in its own folder so they are kept organized and, if applicable, can easily be graduated when the time comes.

The lab could also be the location we store examples for demo and example purposes. I have lots of little examples I've hacked up and no where yet to put them. I'll push them to this repo.

wdyt?

NOTE: If we get extensions working in Asciidoctor.js, and for some reason can't cross-compile them using Opal, then we might have a parallel set of repos for Asciidoctor.js extensions.

-Dan

p.s. Alex already has a handful of AsciidoctorJ extensions here: https://github.com/lordofthejars/asciidoctorj-extensions so perhaps that can be the seed for the asciidoctorj-extensions-lab repo?

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: extensions repositories

asotobu
Yes I would like to put them in lab, moreover because I am still have some other extensions in mind and also I know other folks that would like to improve the ones I had developed so a central place would be awesome. Moreover for tools like Hyla or the one I am developing using Forge, it would be a good place to go and download them in an authomatic way. Something like install extension asciidoctorj-tomee.

Alex.
Reply | Threaded
|

aalmiray
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
How would the names of other JVM langs extensions look like? Right now Groovy relies on asciidoctorj but an extension may be written using Groovy, not Java.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Andres,

That's a good question. I think they still fit in the asciidoctorj-extensions-lab repository since they are built against the AsciidoctorJ API. Thus, the proposed repository segmentation is by API.

Within the repository, you could either organize the extensions under two folders, java and groovy, or you could use groovy as a qualifier on the folder name. I don't think we have to figure it out up front. If we decide it would work better a different way, we can always shift things around. What's important now is to have a place where we can stick them :)

Sound reasonable?

-Dan

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM, aalmiray [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
How would the names of other JVM langs extensions look like? Right now Groovy relies on asciidoctorj but an extension may be written using Groovy, not Java.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/extensions-repositories-tp1365p1371.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by asotobu
Great!

Rather than create asciidoctorj-extensions-lab as a new repository, perhaps you (Alex) can transfer your existing repository into the new location. I've granted you the necessary permission to transfer repositories into https://github.com/asciidoctor.

-Dan

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:26 AM, asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes I would like to put them in lab, moreover because I am still have some other extensions in mind and also I know other folks that would like to improve the ones I had developed so a central place would be awesome. Moreover for tools like Hyla or the one I am developing using Forge, it would be a good place to go and download them in an authomatic way. Something like install extension asciidoctorj-tomee.

Alex.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/extensions-repositories-tp1365p1368.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
No problem I am will create this weekend and upload my extensions there.

Andres do you think it has sense to have all extensions based on AsciidoctorJ in same folder but and the label which identifies them would be the directory name? (something like Arquillian for containers). So for example:

asciidoctorj-ditaa-java-extension would be an implementation of ditaa extension in java
asciidoctorj-ditaa-groovy-extension would be an implementation of ditaa in groovy.

Or maybe you prefer something like:

ditaa-java-extension and ditaa-groovy-extension, because the parent folder it does contain the word asciidoctor so it is not necessary to name them with the same redundant information.

WDYT?
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Done.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Alex,

Could you push your extensions into the AsciidoctorJ extensions lab when you get a chance?

I think we should name all AsciidoctorJ things with the asciidoctorj prefix. I think the Java or Groovy impl part shouldn't matter because it doesn't make much sense to have an extension written in both. We should pick one language per extension and stick with it...and I'm perfectly happy if all extensions are written in Groovy :)

Thanks!

-Dan

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 4:22 AM, asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Done.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/extensions-repositories-tp1365p1388.html
NAML

--