classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

deterrent installation experience

Ralf Jahns
Hello,

if you hack together a little script and decide to make it public, you can probably expect that other curious hackers have installed the interpreter or are willing to spend the effort to do it.

But if you want to ship a nice product, I would expect a "native" installer for the target system. This means a windows installer for windows and something that installs by typing "sudo apt-get install" for linux. I would happily (not really) add a ppa to get the latest version. A debian package or appimage would also be O.K..

I must admit that I'm no big fan of scripting languages and don't really understand that python venv/pip and ruby rvm/gem stuff but instead of installing a compiler by himself, the develper forces all his users to set up a complicated runtime environment.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn' too complicated or time consuming but nevertheless not ideal.

Just my 2 cents
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: deterrent installation experience

mojavelinux
Administrator
You didn't mention which application in the ecosystem you were installing. If you're talking about the main Asciidoctor command (asciidoctor) or Asciidoctor PDF (asciidoctor-pdf), both are packaged for Linux systems as well as package managers like Chocolaty for Windows.

Fedora:

Ubuntu:

You can find other references in the main README (https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor#installation). We'll also be adding packages to the docs that deal with this topic more broadly.

What we don't have is a Windows installer. I'd welcome one if someone wants to contribute it. But that isn't my specialty ;)

Best,

-Dan

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 12:45 PM Ralf Jahns [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

if you hack together a little script and decide to make it public, you can probably expect that other curious hackers have installed the interpreter or are willing to spend the effort to do it.

But if you want to ship a nice product, I would expect a "native" installer for the target system. This means a windows installer for windows and something that installs by typing "sudo apt-get install" for linux. I would happily (not really) add a ppa to get the latest version. A debian package or appimage would also be O.K..

I must admit that I'm no big fan of scripting languages and don't really understand that python venv/pip and ruby rvm/gem stuff but instead of installing a compiler by himself, the develper forces all his users to set up a complicated runtime environment.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn' too complicated or time consuming but nevertheless not ideal.

Just my 2 cents
Ralf

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/deterrent-installation-experience-tp7532.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: deterrent installation experience

Ralf Jahns
Thanks again for your quick and detailed answer. I installed asciidoctor on linux mint by using method (d) - gem install (with rvm install first). I interpreted the install instructions so, that this is the recommended method to get the latest version (but I choose stable).

Of course you're right and I'm wrong. Asciidoctor provides all kind of installers.

Best regards
Ralf