classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

asciidoctor "asciidoc" mode

costin
Hi,

I'm currently working on some docs that are rendered both in asciidoctor and asciidoc mode; I use asciidoctor because I find it easier to use (not to mention portable and it works nicely on windows) while asciidoc is used on the recipient side (it's part of the rendering process which is unlikely to change in the near term).

While both understand the document fairly well, there are obvious rendering differences (to say the least) between using the two tools in particular in the number of settings understood, style-sheets, etc...

Would it possible to add an 'asciidoc' (compatibility) mode to asciidoctor - so that if any asciidoctor specific feature is used, the user gets a warning/failure? This way the rendering would be mainly the same between the two tools.
Ideally the asciidoc style-sheets/themes would be reused as well so the results would be visually similar but what I'm really interested in, is them having the same core structure.

P.S. I realize that one could just use asciidoc instead however I think such a 'compatibility' feature would help asciidoctor a lot in terms of adoption especially in publishing environments that have standardized in asciidoc.