Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Interesting findings from JFrog

LightGuardjp
http://jaxenter.com/documentation-and-licensing-biggest-open-source-challenges-says-jfrog-47896.html

Naturally the headline caught my eye, but the article only seems to briefly touch on the documentation aspect. It would be interesting to touch base with the JFrog guys and see if they'd be interested in helping with that documentation problem (by helping with Asciidoctor, or including some sort of service in their offerings). Since they have recently added ruby gems support to artifactory (http://www.jfrog.com/confluence/display/RTF/RubyGems+Repository) they may now have some ruby experience in house. Does anyone have any contacts within JFrog? if not I'm sure I can find some time to talk with them at J1.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Interesting findings from JFrog

JBaruch
Just noticed this one.
Who needs contacts within JFrog, when we are here :)
Jason, we are sure interested in helping with Asciidoctor.
What do you have in mind?
Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
Excellent! 

When I first read the article the idea was having consumable docs live in your artifact repo and versioned along with the main artifacts, like what happens with javadoc jars today. 

Expanding on that idea would be to have a documentation management system like what readthedocs, doxy and others are doing now. As there seems to be a few players starting to creep up already my guess is it's going to be something worth playing in. Building something around it and having someone to support an offering, not mention teaching people how to properly write good documentation may be something to look into. You could also go beyond just documentation and do presentation builds and hosting from AsciiDoc files. 

I thought given the recent(ish) integration of hosting rubygems in Artifactory, JFrog might like to exercise their ruby chops a bit more and make something happen and help improve Asciidoctor at the same time. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 21, 2013, at 4:14, "JBaruch [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just noticed this one.
Who needs contacts within JFrog, when we are here :)
Jason, we are sure interested in helping with Asciidoctor.
What do you have in mind?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Interesting-findings-from-JFrog-tp583p835.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
Count with me too, in my blog I write about creating fully searchable documents using Asciidoctor and Elasticsearch for example. Also it would be great to create  way to create a fully traceable documentation, I mean that you can create links between documents, so for example you can trace from user specifications to technical documents, or for example capturing from a commit (maybe with webhook) the relation between documentation and code.

We can talk more extensively about traceable documents if you want, also I had an example on github.

Well WDYT?