Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exception in AsciiDoctorJ with pdf

Conrad
Hi, this command worked already. Yesterday, I wanted to use this command again but get an exception.

AsciiDoctorJ -b pdf 0_Documentation_de.adoc

I installed AsciiDoctorJ via Chocolatey.

The command works with the zip-installation.

Could somebody tell me the reason?

Conrad

Jan 20, 2020 7:01:15 AM org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor convertFile
SEVERE: (NoMethodError) undefined method `highlight?' for nil:NilClass
Exception in thread "main" org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.AsciidoctorCoreException: org.jruby.exceptions.NoMethodError: (NoMethodError) undefined method `highlight?' for nil:NilClass
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor.convertFile(JRubyAsciidoctor.java:391)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor.convertFile(JRubyAsciidoctor.java:405)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor.convertFile(JRubyAsciidoctor.java:400)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.cli.AsciidoctorInvoker.renderInput(AsciidoctorInvoker.java:169)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.cli.AsciidoctorInvoker.invoke(AsciidoctorInvoker.java:72)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.cli.AsciidoctorInvoker.main(AsciidoctorInvoker.java:229)
Caused by: org.jruby.exceptions.NoMethodError: (NoMethodError) undefined method `highlight?' for nil:NilClass
        at RUBY.convert_listing_or_literal(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:1441)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:127)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:75)
        at RUBY.content(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:84)
        at org.jruby.RubyArray.map(org/jruby/RubyArray.java:2577)
        at RUBY.content(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:84)
        at RUBY.convert_content_for_block(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:143)
        at RUBY.convert_section(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:498)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:127)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:75)
        at RUBY.content(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1020)
        at RUBY.convert_content_for_block(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:143)
        at RUBY.convert_document(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:268)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:951)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/convert.rb:118)
        at RUBY.convert_file(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/convert.rb:183)
        at org.jruby.RubyIO.open(org/jruby/RubyIO.java:1157)
        at RUBY.convert_file(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/convert.rb:183)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exception in AsciiDoctorJ with pdf

mojavelinux
Administrator
There are two reasons for this. First, it's likely that your document header is not properly defined. And the old version of Asciidoctor PDF that you're using would crash when that happened.

The latest version of Asciidoctor PDF is 1.0.0.rc.2. If you upgrade, it will fix the crash. If you fix your document header, it will remove the condition that caused that crash.

Best,

-Dan

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 11:07 PM Conrad [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, this command worked already. Yesterday, I wanted to use this command again but get an exception.

AsciiDoctorJ -b pdf 0_Documentation_de.adoc

I installed AsciiDoctorJ via Chocolatey.

The command works with the zip-installation.

Could somebody tell me the reason?

Conrad

Jan 20, 2020 7:01:15 AM org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor convertFile
SEVERE: (NoMethodError) undefined method `highlight?' for nil:NilClass
Exception in thread "main" org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.AsciidoctorCoreException: org.jruby.exceptions.NoMethodError: (NoMethodError) undefined method `highlight?' for nil:NilClass
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor.convertFile(JRubyAsciidoctor.java:391)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor.convertFile(JRubyAsciidoctor.java:405)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.internal.JRubyAsciidoctor.convertFile(JRubyAsciidoctor.java:400)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.cli.AsciidoctorInvoker.renderInput(AsciidoctorInvoker.java:169)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.cli.AsciidoctorInvoker.invoke(AsciidoctorInvoker.java:72)
        at org.asciidoctor.jruby.cli.AsciidoctorInvoker.main(AsciidoctorInvoker.java:229)
Caused by: org.jruby.exceptions.NoMethodError: (NoMethodError) undefined method `highlight?' for nil:NilClass
        at RUBY.convert_listing_or_literal(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:1441)
        at RUBY.convert_section(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:498)
        at RUBY.content(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1020)
        at RUBY.convert_document(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.18/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:268)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:951)
        at RUBY.convert(uri:classloader:/gems/asciidoctor-2.0.10/lib/asciidoctor/convert.rb:118)
        at org.jruby.RubyIO.open(org/jruby/RubyIO.java:1157)

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Exception-in-AsciiDoctorJ-with-pdf-tp7498.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad
I run AsciiDoctorJ 2.2.0 from https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj/releases.

This version includes Asciidoctor PDF 1.5.0-beta.8.

Are there newer versions available?

Reply | Threaded
|

abelsromero
The zip package has some default versions for ease of installation, but you can override them if you need with more recent ones.
Last asciidoctorj-pdf is `v1.5.0-rc.2` https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj-pdf/releases.

This is one of those scenarios in which using a build tool can make life easier, for instance there's an example using maven in whcih you can set the versions to use separatedly https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-maven-examples/blob/master/asciidoctor-pdf-example/pom.xml.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
The stacktace says it's alpha.18, not beta.8.
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad
The bin folder has following content:
asciidoctorj-2.2.0.jar
asciidoctorj-api-2.2.0.jar
asciidoctorj-diagram-2.0.0.jar
asciidoctorj-epub3-1.5.0-alpha.9.jar
asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.0-beta.8.jar
jcommander-1.72.jar
jruby-complete-9.2.9.0.jar
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad
In reply to this post by abelsromero
Many thanks, @abelsromero.

I put asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.0-alpha.6.jar into lib and changed the classpath in the bat-file.

That does not work:

Exception in thread "main" org.jruby.exceptions.LoadError: (ConflictError) Unable to activate asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.6, because asciidoctor-2.0.10 conflicts with asciidoctor (~> 1.5.0)
        at RUBY.raise_if_conflicts(uri:classloader:/META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/stdlib/rubygems/specification.rb:2332)
        at RUBY.activate(uri:classloader:/META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/stdlib/rubygems/specification.rb:1441)
        at RUBY.try_activate(uri:classloader:/META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/stdlib/rubygems.rb:224)
        at RUBY.require(uri:classloader:/META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/stdlib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:123)
        at RUBY.<main>(<script>:1)

That would not happen by using a build-tool? Using a build-tool is difficult for me due to firewalls and proxies. That's why I avoid that as long as possible.

Conrad

Reply | Threaded
|

abelsromero
Note I mentioned version `v1.5.0-rc.2`.

At this point I wonder how did you install? Obviously the versions are not correct but I canot see any binary distribution in https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj/releases.
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad
I did not install the libraries. I unpacked the zip-file and run:

C:\Program_Portable\asciidoctorj\bin\asciidoctorj.bat -b pdf mydoc.adoc
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad
In reply to this post by abelsromero
I also have asccidoctor installed. I installed it by Gem. Is it possible, that AsciidoctorJ ("installed" as zip) loads libraries from asccidoctor ?
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
No, that should not happen. But I strongly advise you to use either Asciidoctor (Ruby) or AsciidoctorJ, not both at the same time. That's only going to lead to confusion.

Best,

-Dan

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:44 PM Conrad [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also have asccidoctor installed. I installed it by Gem. Is it possible, that AsciidoctorJ ("installed" as zip) loads libraries from asccidoctor ?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Exception-in-AsciiDoctorJ-with-pdf-tp7498p7521.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad
Many thanks.

I have a further question: if I use AsciiDoctorJ, I do not have to install anything. This is also very end-user-friendly. Is this also possible for Asciidoctor? I can not expect from endusers to install and run gem.