classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Embedding Javadoc into asciidoc based documentation

Alexander Zobkov
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to include javadoc into asciidoc based documentation. important note is what asciidoc files are converted into PDF. As far as I understand existing asciidoclet can't help here, as it's to support asciidoc syntax in javadoc but not to output/generate javadoc into asciidoc format.

I can imagine the following approaches to achieve the goal:
1) javadoc with xml-doclet -> xslt -> javadoc.adoc ->  include javadoc.adoc as appendix of reference-guide.adoc -> asciidoctorj-pdf -> pdf
2) javadoc with db-doclet -> docbookrx -> javadoc.adoc ->  include javadoc.adoc as appendix of reference-guide.adoc -> asciidoctorj-pdf -> pdf
3) javadoc with freemaker-doclet -> javadoc.adoc ->  include javadoc.adoc as appendix of reference-guide.adoc -> asciidoctorj-pdf -> pdf
4) javadoc with pdf-doclet -> javadoc.pdf -> merge with reference-guide.pdf by using apache pdfbox
5) javadoc -> javadoc.html -> wkhtmltopdf -> javadoc.pdf -> merge with reference-guide.pdf by using apache pdfbox

Could you please suggest, probably there are better approaches that can be more easier to implement and does not require complex transformation pipelines?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Embedding Javadoc into asciidoc based documentation

mojavelinux
Administrator
I believe this is the same request as https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoclet/issues/42. If the doclet can export the Javadoc string to disk, then it opens up the door to combining it with other sources using the existing Asciidoctor toolchain.

Where we are with that issue is that we need to pin down some design requirements so that it's possible to move forward with implementation.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 3:51 AM, Alexander Zobkov [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to include javadoc into asciidoc based documentation. important note is what asciidoc files are converted into PDF. As far as I understand existing asciidoclet can't help here, as it's to support asciidoc syntax in javadoc but not to output/generate javadoc into asciidoc format.

I can imagine the following approaches to achieve the goal:
1) javadoc with xml-doclet -> xslt -> javadoc.adoc ->  include javadoc.adoc as appendix of reference-guide.adoc -> asciidoctorj-pdf -> pdf
2) javadoc with db-doclet -> docbookrx -> javadoc.adoc ->  include javadoc.adoc as appendix of reference-guide.adoc -> asciidoctorj-pdf -> pdf
3) javadoc with freemaker-doclet -> javadoc.adoc ->  include javadoc.adoc as appendix of reference-guide.adoc -> asciidoctorj-pdf -> pdf
4) javadoc with pdf-doclet -> javadoc.pdf -> merge with reference-guide.pdf by using apache pdfbox
5) javadoc -> javadoc.html -> wkhtmltopdf -> javadoc.pdf -> merge with reference-guide.pdf by using apache pdfbox

Could you please suggest, probably there are better approaches that can be more easier to implement and does not require complex transformation pipelines?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Embedding-Javadoc-into-asciidoc-based-documentation-tp4116.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen