Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diagrams referenced by URL in PDF?

wolandscat
If I include a diagram by URL reference, the HTML generates properly (as one would expect).

The PDF does not; the reference is just output in its literal form.

Should the PDF generator know how to do the inclusion? Or do I need to make a static copy of the diagram (which may change at source...) and save that, and then reference it locally to get it in the PDF?

- thomas
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Diagrams referenced by URL in PDF?

mojavelinux
Administrator
Thomas,

As you know, PDF is a self-contained format, so all resources must be embedded into it at build time. The HTML works because HTML can just link to the asset. So, yes, the PDF generator needs to download these resources from the internet.

Asciidoctor supports automatically downloading resources from the internet to embed them into the document. However, this feature is "hidden" behind a security flag. You need to enable the allow-uri-read attribute from the CLI or API.

$ asciidoctor-pdf -a allow-uri-read document.adoc

To avoid slowing down the build, you can enable the (very primitive) URI cache.

$ gem install open-uri-cached

Then you can enable the URI cache:

$ asciidoctor-pdf -a allow-uri-read -a cache-uri document.adoc

The cache is stored in /tmp/open-uri-{uid}.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM, wolandscat [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I include a diagram by URL reference, the HTML generates properly (as one would expect).

The PDF does not; the reference is just output in its literal form.

Should the PDF generator know how to do the inclusion? Or do I need to make a static copy of the diagram (which may change at source...) and save that, and then reference it locally to get it in the PDF?

- thomas

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Diagrams-referenced-by-URL-in-PDF-tp4623.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
Reply | Threaded
|

wolandscat
Right. This all makes sense. Thanks for the answer!
Reply | Threaded
|

wolandscat
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
So far I can't get this to work. I have the following command line (in a script):

run_asciidoctor_pdf () {
	out_file=${1}.pdf

# work out the options
	opts="-a current_year=$year \
		-a stylesdir=$stylesdir \
		-a resources_dir=$resources_dir \
		-a uml_export_dir=$uml_export_dir \
		-a pdf-style=$pdf_theme \
		-a pdf-stylesdir=$resources_dir \
		-a allow-uri-read -a cache-uri \
		-r asciidoctor-pdf -b pdf \
		--out-file=$out_file"

# -a pdf-fontsdir=path/to/fonts 
	if [ "$pdf_trace" = true ]; then
		opts="${opts} --trace"
	fi

asciidoctor ${opts} $2
	echo generated $(pwd)/$out_file
}

I just added the line '-a allow-uri-read -a cache-uri' to the previous version.

I installed open-uri-cached as above.

When I run my script, something happens, because I see this in /tmp (actually in cygwin's /tmp area):

/tmp
    /open-uri-1001
        /www.openehr.org   # this is indeed the site from which the image comes
            8a4608a543e26f1107b8842d250d74f7f86607db
            8a4608a543e26f1107b8842d250d74f7f86607db.meta

But there is no .png or .svg in /tmp. The source link is to a .svg.

The output from running asciidoctor, with trace turned on is:

/usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/temporary_path.rb:5:in `unlink': No such file or directory @ unlink_internal - /tmp/image-20160421-226964-199iqrn.png (Errno::ENOENT)
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/temporary_path.rb:5:in `unlink'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:2216:in `unlink_tmp_file'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:859:in `convert_image'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:88:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:71:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:80:in `block in content'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:80:in `map'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:80:in `content'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:104:in `convert_content_for_block'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:305:in `convert_section'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:88:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:71:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:80:in `block in content'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:80:in `map'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/abstract_block.rb:80:in `content'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1104:in `content'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:104:in `convert_content_for_block'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:149:in `convert_document'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1044:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor.rb:1503:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:94:in `block in invoke!'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:86:in `each'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:86:in `invoke!'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/bin/asciidoctor:14:in `<top (required)>'
        from /home/Thomas/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `load'
        from /home/Thomas/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `<main>'

any ideas?

- thomas
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

/usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.8

I'm pretty sure this is your problem right here. We're currently on 1.5.0.alpha.11. There was a bug in previous versions with URI reads.

-Dan

--
Reply | Threaded
|

wolandscat
That did occur to me about 1 minute after posting.... so with the update, I get this:

/usr/local/gems/ttfunk-1.4.0/lib/ttfunk.rb:34:in `verify_and_open': /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/data/fonts/notoserif-regular-latin.ttf not found (ArgumentError)
        from /usr/local/gems/ttfunk-1.4.0/lib/ttfunk.rb:13:in `open'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font/ttf.rb:351:in `read_ttf_file'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font/ttf.rb:27:in `initialize'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:292:in `new'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:292:in `load'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:244:in `find_font'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:58:in `font'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/prawn_ext/extensions.rb:185:in `font'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:1525:in `layout_title_page'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:143:in `convert_document'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:96:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1044:in `convert'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:94:in `block in invoke!'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:86:in `each'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.4/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:86:in `invoke!'

I suspect this means something like a current default font is no longer supported?

- thomas
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
We changed the name of the default fonts. A small migration is required. Please compare the font catalog of your custom theme with the default one. Note the font file names.

-Dan

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:58 PM, wolandscat [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
That did occur to me about 1 minute after posting.... so with the update, I get this:

/usr/local/gems/ttfunk-1.4.0/lib/ttfunk.rb:34:in `verify_and_open': /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/data/fonts/notoserif-regular-latin.ttf not found (ArgumentError)
        from /usr/local/gems/ttfunk-1.4.0/lib/ttfunk.rb:13:in `open'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font/ttf.rb:351:in `read_ttf_file'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font/ttf.rb:27:in `initialize'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:292:in `new'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:292:in `load'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:244:in `find_font'
        from /usr/local/gems/prawn-2.0.1/lib/prawn/font.rb:58:in `font'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/prawn_ext/extensions.rb:185:in `font'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:1525:in `layout_title_page'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:143:in `convert_document'
        from /usr/local/gems/asciidoctor-pdf-1.5.0.alpha.11/lib/asciidoctor-pdf/converter.rb:96:in `convert'

I suspect this means something like a current default font is no longer supported?

- thomas

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Diagrams-referenced-by-URL-in-PDF-tp4623p4633.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

wolandscat
That worked!

That new asciidoctor-pdf version is a *lot* better (syntax colourising works, image inclusion, fonts, text flow ...).

But I still see some errors with images. E.g. width=%50 does strange things, some SVGs lose their text, ... shall I report these on the asciidoctor-pdf git tracker?

- thomas
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Great news!

wolandscat wrote:
E.g. width=%50 does strange things

You should always use pdfwidth= for images in PDFs (which you can use along with the width attribute for HTML). The units can be relative (%) or absolute (in, cm, pt, etc)

, some SVGs lose their text,

9/10 this is an issue with prawn-svg. See https://github.com/mogest/prawn-svg

However, before you report it there, you may want to try using the latest version of prawn-svg, which is not yet installed by default (it will be once we cut a new alpha of asciidoctor-pdf).

... shall I report these on the asciidoctor-pdf git tracker?

Aside from what I mentioned, yes. Though, when reporting issues in asciidoctor-pdf, it's best if you first test with the master. See https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-pdf#development

Cheers,

-Dan

--
Reply | Threaded
|

geertpeeters
This post was updated on .
Hi, I just found this thread, since I was hitting the same issue of not rendering URL referenced images in PDF using the Gradle plugin. Is there a config option in the gradle configuration to enable uri read?

Edit : I found the solution in the mean time.

You should add 'allow-uri-read': '' to the attributes of asciidoctor
When running a build against PDF backend, the images are rendered in the PDF document