classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deck.js backend and Tilt problem

graphitefriction
Administrator
I wanted to post my error here before filing an issue because I just may be missing or configuring something wrong.

What I've done:

In preparation for pushing the deck.js backend instructions to the Asciidoctor website, I was working through the directions in the asciidoctor-backends repo README.

In my working directory, I've copied the asciidoctor-backends repo, deck.js repo, and placed the deck.split.js extension in the deck.js extension folder.

This is my sample doc:
----
= Deck Presentation
Sarah W
:deckjs_theme: web-2.0
:deckjs_transition: horizontal-slide
:navigation:
:status:
:split:

== Slide One

Foo

Bar

World

[canvas-image="./images/cosplay.jpg"]
== Slide Two

[role="canvas-caption", position="center-up"]
Hello World - Good Bye Cruel World
----

== Slide Three

Sliding into the great wide open...
----

The error I'm getting:

[swhite@berserkr deckjs-example]$ asciidoctor --trace -T asciidoctor-backends/haml/deckjs deck.adoc
/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot load such file -- tilt (LoadError)
        from /usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor/helpers.rb:21:in `require_library'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor/renderer.rb:36:in `initialize'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:607:in `new'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:607:in `renderer'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:616:in `render'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor.rb:842:in `render'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/lib/asciidoctor/cli/invoker.rb:72:in `invoke!'
        from /home/swhite/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/asciidoctor-0.1.3/bin/asciidoctor:10:in `<top (required)>'
        from /home/swhite/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `load'
        from /home/swhite/bin/asciidoctor:23:in `<main>'

Am I forgetting to set an attribute or something? Or have I hit a bug?
BTW, I don't get any errors if I render the Doc with  the default html5 backend.

> asciidoctor -a copycss deck.adoc

Thanks!

-Sarah
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Deck.js backend and Tilt problem

asotobu
From the point of view of backend, it should not throw this error because at the end they are the templates used by Tilt to render the html. But of course I could be missing something too. Does it work the same code but using DzSlides backend instead of deck.js?
Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
You don't have the tilt gem installed.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM, asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
From the point of view of backend, it should not throw this error because at the end they are the templates used by Tilt to render the html. But of course I could be missing something too. Does it work the same code but using DzSlides backend instead of deck.js?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Deck-js-backend-and-Tilt-problem-tp280p282.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
yes I thought the same but now I am not pretty sure that I installed when I developed deck.js backend. Maybe I have already installed because of awestruct. Well then gem install tilt and see if it fixes. If it is the case, then we should update documentation with required gems to render Asciidoctor backends.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by asotobu

It appears the problem is that the Tilt gem is not installed (or otherwise visible). This is solved by running:

gem install tilt

This got me thinking, though, that Asciidoctor should anticipate this problem and be more informative about the requirements. Moving from using the built-in templates to custom templates requires at least one additional gem (tilt) and usually one more (haml or slim).

We should emphasize in the usage statement & man page that using -T requires having the tilt gem, which is not installed by default (except in the Java integration).

-Dan

-Dan

--
Sent from my CyanogenMod-powered
Android device, an open platform for
carriers, developers and consumers.

On Jun 5, 2013 12:12 AM, "asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Deck-js-backend-and-Tilt-problem-tp280p282.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by asotobu

Yep, you likely got it from Awestruct.

The cli can actually do some preemptive work here since it can query for which gems are installed using the RubyGems API and ensure tilt is present.

-Dan

--
Sent from my CyanogenMod-powered
Android device, an open platform for
carriers, developers and consumers.

On Jun 5, 2013 12:35 AM, "asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes I thought the same but now I am not pretty sure that I installed when I developed deck.js backend. Maybe I have already installed because of awestruct. Well then gem install tilt and see if it fixes. If it is the case, then we should update documentation with required gems to render Asciidoctor backends.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Deck-js-backend-and-Tilt-problem-tp280p284.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
then I had already installed Tilt because of awestruct, good news then. And yes in Java project we are bundling all gems (tilt, haml and slim),  and this fact remind me that in next version I should update that gems to latest version as Dan noted me some time ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

graphitefriction
Administrator
Success!

I installed Tilt (v1.4.1) and then ran:

$ asciidoctor --trace -T asciidoctor-backends/haml/deckjs deck.adoc

Which got me a new error, but this time about Haml...

So I gem install haml (4.0.3), reran Asciidoctor, and the deck.js backend worked. w00t!

How I didn't have Tilt and Haml installed already is mystery to me o_O

I'll make a note in the Guide and README that the Asciidoctor-backends repo requires the Tilt and Haml (and I'm sure Slim, I'll be trying dzslides a little later) gems to be installed.

Thank you for all your help, Jason and Alex!

-Sarah

Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
you are welcome.

Yes you will need slim too. I think it would be a good point to note that these gems must be installed, because as you there would be more people that will find the same problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
Sarah, my guess is you don't have them because you're running off your system gem installation directory. AFAIK with other work you've been doing you're working off a different rvm gemset.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
you are welcome.

Yes you will need slim too. I think it would be a good point to note that these gems must be installed, because as you there would be more people that will find the same problem.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Deck-js-backend-and-Tilt-problem-tp280p293.html
NAML

--