Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best asciidoc pipeline?

Frankie
I have been using the asciidoctorj/ Gradle Plugin pipeline successfully for a couple of years now to render my HTML and PDF documentation. Lately, my mac runs JDK 12 by default, and i took this as a sign to update the whole pipeline. Nightmare. The asciidoctorj examples still use the 1.x instead of 2.x version, so i kind of wonder if Java/ Gradle is still the best pipeline to use. Any recommendations? I am perfectly fine with non-Java solutions, as long as they more or less pop out of homebrew. I need HTML and PDF, epub and diagram would be nice.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best asciidoc pipeline?

mojavelinux
Administrator
Frankie,

This is a community run project and the volunteers in this community work very hard to keep the ecosystem up  to date. So just saying "nightmare" is not only unhelpful, it also disrespects the tremendous work this community does on this project. If you're willing to share your specific problems, you'll find the members of this community are very open to lending you a hand. That's how we operate. It's the old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Both the Asciidoctor Gradle plugin and Asciidoctor Maven plugin have been receiving heavy development over the course of the last year. I'd say these plugins are better now as an AsciiDoc pipeline than they've ever been in the past.

Added to that mix is Antora, which is a newer pipeline for creating documentation sites from AsciiDoc. It's significant because the patterns used there will likely be incorporated back into the Java-based build plugins. However, it doesn't yet offer EPUB3 or PDF output (without using additional tools).

It's true that the example projects need to be updated. If you give feedback on those projects, it could help move the effort along. I think there was a pause to let people transition to the new versions before switching the examples over, but I think that we've past the point where we need to wait.

Best,

-Dan

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 7:24 AM Frankie [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been using the asciidoctorj/ Gradle Plugin pipeline successfully for a couple of years not to render my HTML and PDF documentation. Lately, my mac runs JDK 12 by default, and i took this as a sign to update the whole pipeline. Nightmare. The asciidoctorj examples still use the 1.x instead of 2.x version, so i kind of wonder if Java/ Gradle is still the best pipeline to use. Any recommendations? I am perfectly fine with non-Java solutions, as long as they more or less pop out of homebrew. I need HTML and PDF, epub and diagram would be nice.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Best-asciidoc-pipeline-tp7090.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux