Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Allow nested TODO lists using just hyphens

ananelson
Currently, nested lists are not available using the hyphen list delimiter. You have to use the asterisk delimiter.

* foo
** nested bar
** nested baz

Would it be possible to consider a special case where, if creating nested checkbox/TODO items, hyphens could be used to create a nested list?

- [ ] First level TODO item
-- [ ] Nested TODO item
-- [ ] Another nested TODO item

This would enable rapidly creating nested TODO lists without having to hold down the shift key to type an asterisk. Because this would only be for hyphens followed by open brackets indicating a checkbox, it should not conflict with other uses of hyphens.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Allow nested TODO lists using just hyphens

mojavelinux
Administrator
The question here is really whether hyphens should be permitted to be used in the same way as asterisks for creating nested lists. In other words, should the following be permitted?

- item 1
-- 1a
-- 1b
- item 2
-- 2a
-- 2b

I'll admit that I've been tripped up in the past by having to switch from using hyphens to using asterisks because all of a sudden I needed a nested list item. So it's certainly intuitive to allow repeating hyphens in the list marker.

I'm pretty torn about this one because the double hyphen is already used in the AsciiDoc syntax. However, it's very unlikely to cause a conflict, so I'm certainly willing to consider the change.

I'll go ahead and open an issue and we can see whether people agree it's safe to allow 1 to 5 hyphens in the same way we allow 1 to 5 asterisks for unordered list items.

-Dan

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM, ananelson [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Currently, nested lists are not available using the hyphen list delimiter. You have to use the asterisk delimiter.

* foo
** nested bar
** nested baz

Would it be possible to consider a special case where, if creating nested checkbox/TODO items, hyphens could be used to create a nested list?

- [ ] First level TODO item
-- [ ] Nested TODO item
-- [ ] Another nested TODO item

This would enable rapidly creating nested TODO lists without having to hold down the shift key to type an asterisk. Because this would only be for hyphens followed by open brackets indicating a checkbox, it should not conflict with other uses of hyphens.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Allow-nested-TODO-lists-using-just-hyphens-tp1689.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--