classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

latexmath not shown in PDF

Bobby253
Hello everyone,

I just started using Asciidoctor and I'm not really familiar with it. I just followed the instruction I found only when I was looking for a way to get my Asccidocfiles in a PDF. And I really liked the outcome. The only thing I cannot work out is why my Latexmath is not working. Unfortunately I cannot find a solution for my Problem.
I'm using:
          latexmath:[\begin{eqnarray*}
          K(t)=36,5+t\cdot e^{at}
          \end{eqnarray*}]
in my code and it looks like this
          \begin{eqnarray*} K(t)=36,5+t\cdot e^{at} \end{eqnarray*}
in my PDF.
I tryed different things but I cannot get it to work. I would be really nice if you could help me.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Julia
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: latexmath not shown in PDF

mojavelinux
Administrator
Julia,

We don't yet have built-in support for LaTeX (and AsciiMath) in Asciidoctor PDF, but progress is being made. Tobias Stumm came forward and developed an integration with Mathematical, which is a gem that converts LaTeX to SVG using 

You can read about the progress here::

Here is one of the proposed extensions::

For now, you'll need to build and install it locally, then activate it when running Asciidoctor PDF like:

$ asciidoctor-pdf -r asciidoctor-mathematical file.adoc

The extension could stand to have a more informative README.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM, julia.gaa [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just started using Asciidoctor and I'm not really familiar with it. I just followed the instruction I found only when I was looking for a way to get my Asccidocfiles in a PDF. And I really liked the outcome. The only thing I cannot work out is why my Latexmath is not working. Unfortunately I cannot find a solution for my Problem.
I'm using:
          latexmath:[\begin{eqnarray*}
          K(t)=36,5+t\cdot e^{at}
          \end{eqnarray*}]
in my code and it looks like this
          K(t)=36,5+t\cdot e^{at}
in my PDF.
I tryed different things but I cannot get it to work. I would be really nice if you could help me.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Julia

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/latexmath-not-shown-in-PDF-tp3506.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Bobby253
Hello Dan,

thank you for your answear. Do you know if and where there is any explanation on how to install (this) extension(s)?
(I tryed gem install asciidoctor-mathematical but this didn't work).

Thank you,
Julia

Reply | Threaded
|

Bobby253
Okay, I tryed to get this to work with:

gem build and gem install but it always complains about the gem nativ extension and that cmake is missing:

I also tryed to install cmake but I'm getting the same error about the gem nativ extesion which is missing:

I wasn't able to find which gems I need to install. Can anybody help me or tell me where to look it up?
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Julia,

The installation of mathematical is tricky because, as you have pointed out, it requires the installation of native gems. In order to install native gems, you must have the development libraries (C compilers and such) on your machine. What's more, I think it's very unlikely that mathematical is going to install on anything but a Linux or OSX box because it uses GNU tools. See https://github.com/gjtorikian/mathematical#building

Long story short, I recommend installing it on a Linux box (which can be a virtual machine or Docker container). It may be possible to install mathematical on Windows, but it's fair to say that it won't be simple.

The other solution to math equations, which may be a more realistic path for Windows, is to use the Mathoid extension that I wrote. Mathoid uses phantomjs to invoke MathJax in a headless browser environment (no window). There are some instructions in the file, though I recognize I need to fill out those instructions a lot more.

Both approaches are really just proofs of concept and we haven't really verified yet that we can use them, let alone anyone else. It's still very much in the development stage.

With that said, I will follow up with better instructions asap.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:38 AM, Bobby253 [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I tryed to get this to work with:

gem build and gem install but it always complains about the gem nativ extension and that cmake is missing:

I also tryed to install cmake but I'm getting the same error about the gem nativ extesion which is missing:

I wasn't able to find which gems I need to install. Can anybody help me or tell me where to look it up?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/latexmath-not-shown-in-PDF-tp3506p3535.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--