Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

example of an asciidoctorj extension using java and maven

Jeremie Bresson
I have started an example of an extension written in Java and integrated in maven.

I know lot of the people in the community prefers groovy and gradle, but:
* Having to learn a new language and a new building technology for a documentation toolchain is overkill (even if both are great!).
* Even if I would learn them, in a company environment you cannot change everything in one step. Having the approbation of my team is really important. The argument of using known technologies (maven and java) largely used in our company helps me there.

I think there should be a maven + java extension example.

---

For the extension, I have created an "asciidoctorj-twitter-extension" (package name: org.asciidoctorj.twitter.extension - first I did not had the "org" prefix, but there is a limitation: Issue 250) reusing the excellent tutorial of mrhaki: Awesome Asciidoctor: Write Extensions Using Groovy (or Java)

I have a separate documentation project (similar to the "asciidoc-to-html-example") using this extension: asciidoctor-with-extension-example.

I have also an aggregator module to build both modules simultaneously: "extension-example"

---

I would really appreciate to get feedback: on the extension itself and on the example set-up (naming convention, …)
For example what should be the default goal of the extension project and of the aggregator project?
(I have put compile, but I am not sure)

I am not a maven expert…

---

Current stand is on my fork branch: patch-1

It is good enough to send a pull request?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: example of an asciidoctorj extension using java and maven

mojavelinux
Administrator
I'd love to see this added to the asciidoctor-maven-examples repo.

-Dan

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Jeremie Bresson [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have started an example of an extension written in Java and integrated in maven.

* Having to learn a new language and a new building technology for a documentation toolchain is overkill (even if both are great!).
* Even if I would learn them, in a company environment you cannot change everything in one step. Having the approbation of my team is really important. The argument of using known technologies (maven and java) largely used in our company helps me there.

---

For the extension, I have created an "asciidoctorj-twitter-extension" (package name: org.asciidoctorj.twitter.extension - first I did not had the "org" prefix, but there is a limitation: Issue 250) reusing the excellent tutorial of mrhaki: Awesome Asciidoctor: Write Extensions Using Groovy (or Java)

I have a separate documentation project (similar to the "asciidoc-to-html-example") using this extension: asciidoctor-with-extension-example.

I have also an aggregator module to build both modules simultaneously: "extension-example"

---

I would really appreciate to get feedback: on the extension itself and on the example set-up (naming convention, …)
For example what should be the default goal of the extension project and of the aggregator project?

I am not a maven expert…

---

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/example-of-an-asciidoctorj-extension-using-java-and-maven-tp3370.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

abelsromero

Hi,

In the tests folder in the maven plugin there're some examples. You can look at the to get ideas.

I'd love to see this added to the asciidoctor-maven-examples repo.

-Dan

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Jeremie Bresson [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

---

---

I am not a maven expert…

---

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/example-of-an-asciidoctorj-extension-using-java-and-maven-tp3370.html
NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/example-of-an-asciidoctorj-extension-using-java-and-maven-tp3370p3371.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeremie Bresson
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Thank you for the feedback. See: pull request #20
Reply | Threaded
|

ysb33r
In reply to this post by Jeremie Bresson
Jeremie Bresson wrote
Yip, I'm one of them.

Jeremie Bresson wrote
Interestingly, it was one of the two main reasons for me writing a converter in Groovy. Learning all of Ruby to do this would have taken too long.

Jeremie Bresson wrote
Still, having said the previous, I am really glad you have created this. More examples with different tools mean people with  different preferences have a better chance of adapting asciidoctor.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:40 PM, ysb33r [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am really glad you have created this. More examples with different tools mean people with  different preferences have a better chance of adapting asciidoctor.

I agree! Thank you both!