4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Zero-Width Space inserted unexpectedly

Andrew Carver
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug; perhaps someone could clarify:

In the User Manual Sec. 37.4 (currently), "Replacements", it shows the replacement for '--' (M-dash shorthand) is

—

But what I've started getting is

—​

thus appending to the M-dash a Zero Width Space character. This has thrown a hiccup into one of my workflows, as this character shows up as strange random characters later on...

Is it just me, or is this a new behavior? The version of (Ruby) Asciidoctor I'm running is:

Asciidoctor 1.5.7.1 [https://asciidoctor.org]
Runtime Environment (ruby 2.5.1p57 (2018-03-29 revision 63029) [x64-mingw32]) (lc:UTF-8 fs:Windows-1252 in:UTF-8 ex:UTF-8)

Many thanks for any clarification on this!
Andy

P.S. This is using the HTML5 backend. I've not tested any others yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Zero-Width Space inserted unexpectedly

Andrew Carver
P.P.S. I notice that a ZWS is being appended also to replacements of ellipses ('...'), yielding

…​
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Andrew,

This character has been there for as many releases as I can remember. It's correct typography. The dash must be linked to the preceding word so wrapping is performed correctly.

We do assume that the font you're using provides this character. Any conforming font should. That's where I recommend putting your focus on a solution.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018, 15:59 Andrew Carver [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email] wrote:
P.P.S. I notice that a ZWS is being appended also to replacements of ellipses ('...'), yielding

&#8230;&#8203;

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Zero-Width-Space-inserted-unexpectedly-tp6655p6656.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Carver