Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What denotes the end of a labeled list?

jeremyk
I'm trying to understand what denotes the end of a labeled list. I take it that a line of text with a double-colon at the end initiates the list with it's first item and that the list can have white space (i.e. blank lines), but what markup specifically denotes the end of the list? I believe a Section Title does, but what else?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What denotes the end of a labeled list?

mojavelinux
Administrator
A description list (aka labeled list) tends to be a little on the greedy side. There are situations when a blank line is not enough to end it, even though it's not necessarily intuitive and surprises the writer. (I believe there's also a bug that is allowing it to be too greedy in some cases).

Generally, if the description list is not followed immediately by a section title or delimited block, I tend to use an explicit "list end" line offset by blank lines to force it to end.

//^

That's a sure fire way to make the list end and also signals to other writers that you intend to end the description list.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 7:31 AM, jeremyk [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to understand what denotes the end of a labeled list. I take it that a line of text with a double-colon at the end initiates the list with it's first item and that the list can have white space (i.e. blank lines), but what markup specifically denotes the end of the list? I believe a Section Title does, but what else?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/What-denotes-the-end-of-a-labeled-list-tp4767.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux