What controls how callouts get rendered ?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What controls how callouts get rendered ?

TheElderCat
I am still finding my feet as an AsciiDoctor user, so apologies if there is an obvious answer to this question.  I have been using AsciiDoctor to produce a set of HTML documents, containing examples of PHP scripts. Each of the scripts is source code highlighted, with a number of callouts, explaining the different blocks of code within the script.
Having then  outputted the completed documents in various formats, I noticed that the callouts have been rendered differently.

Specifically, I have one large script that uses 24 callouts. When outputting this as a standalone HTML document (doctype: book, icons: font), with embedded images and icons, the callouts only get rendered up to number 15, and thereafter they are replaced with straight text entries. Having checked the default icons/callouts directory, it only contains png's for callouts 1 to 15, so that seems to make sense.

But what is confusing me is that when I output this as a straight HTML document (doctype: book, icons:  ), then all 24 callouts get rendered OK, regardless of the fact that the icons/callouts directory only contains png's for callouts 1 to 15.

I have two questions:

1. Am I right in thinking that if I produce additional png's for callouts, and place them in the callouts directory, then all 24 callouts would be rendered correctly ?

2. What exactly is it that controls how the callouts are rendered, depending what type of document being produced ? It seems to depend on whether the 'icons: ' attribute is set to 'icons:  ' or 'icons: font'. But I still can't see how can it render 24 callouts correctly, with only 15 png's to use in the icons/callouts directory ?