Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
56 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using PlantUML and blockdiag with asciidoctor

pepijnve
On 13 Feb 2014, at 00:33, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I would change in the pull request though is to preserve the ability to import the extensions with and without auto-registration. Thus, I recommend the following structure under lib:
All done. If the pull request looks ok now would you mind doing the following repo admin changes?
- Merge the pull request
- Rename the repo to asciidoctor-diagram
- Enable the travis service hook

Pepijn

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
-Dan

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13 Feb 2014, at 00:33, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I would change in the pull request though is to preserve the ability to import the extensions with and without auto-registration. Thus, I recommend the following structure under lib:
All done. If the pull request looks ok now would you mind doing the following repo admin changes?
- Merge the pull request

Pepijn

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1454.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by pepijnve
I was thinking it might be nice to add an examples directory that includes at least one sample each for PlantUML and ditaa to give people something to try. Here's an example of a project that does this:

https://github.com/jabbrwcky/prawn-qrcode/tree/master/examples

-Dam

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

- Merge the pull request

Pepijn

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1454.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

-Dam

^ The was Freudian for "damn I'm impressed" :)

--
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
Really impressive work moreover releasing as gem make things easy to be integrates with asciidoctorj. You add gem dependency in your pom file and you Can register it by ruby class name

El dia dijous, 13 febrer de 2014, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml-node%2Bs49171n1457h95@n6.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml-node+s49171n1457h95@...> va escriure:
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

-Dam

^ The was Freudian for "damn I'm impressed" :)

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1457.html
To unsubscribe from Using PlantUML and blockdiag with asciidoctor, click here.
NAML

--
Enviat amb Gmail Mobile
Reply | Threaded
|

pepijnve
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Thanks Dan. Just published to rubygems.org. Version is 1.0.1 due to wrong homepage URL in gemspec.

Now all that's left to do is write that blog post...

mojavelinux wrote
All set! And the build is green!
Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
BTW. I am not expert in licenses but I think that Asciidoctor has a really good free license (MIT) which is like APLv2. Am I right?

2014-02-13 8:47 GMT+01:00 pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]>:
Thanks Dan. Just published to rubygems.org. Version is 1.0.1 due to wrong homepage URL in gemspec.

mojavelinux wrote

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1464.html
NAML

--
+----------------------------------------------------------+
  Alex Soto Bueno - Computer Engineer
  www.lordofthejars.com
Reply | Threaded
|

pepijnve
Yes, asciidoctor is MIT licensed. This is essentially 'do what you want; don't blame me if it blows up your computer'.
The apache license has some additional provisions for patents, copyright assignment and such. It's a nice license because that way contributors can't stab you in the back. :)

I MIT licensed asciidoctor-diagram itself as well, but the dependencies are not. I'm using the ASLv2 version of plantuml and the LGPLv3 version of ditaa. Those are both ok; neither is 'viral' in the context we're using them. They're external dependencies, so it's not up to me to change the license.

The issue with ditaa 0.9 (and the plantuml version that supports ditaa) is that it's GPLv2 licensed. I personally don't like GPL; too intrusive. The problem here is that if you make a 'derivative work' based on a GPL project, then the derivative work must be GPL licensed too. Derivative work is interpreted very widely in GPL. As soon as you link to a library in any way (static or dynamic, doesn't matter) you've made a derivative work. Translated to Java, if you call a single method of a class that's GPL licensed, your code also needs to be GPL licensed. LGPL relaxes this a bit and allows dynamic linking. That's why I had to make the custom build of ditaa.

Pepijn

On 13-02-14 08:51, asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] wrote:
BTW. I am not expert in licenses but I think that Asciidoctor has a really good free license (MIT) which is like APLv2. Am I right?

2014-02-13 8:47 GMT+01:00 pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]>:

mojavelinux wrote

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1464.html
NAML

--
  www.lordofthejars.com

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1465.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

asotobu
Then MIT is my license :) Good decision IMO to be used it in Asciidoctor 

2014-02-13 9:01 GMT+01:00 pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]>:
Yes, asciidoctor is MIT licensed. This is essentially 'do what you want; don't blame me if it blows up your computer'.
The apache license has some additional provisions for patents, copyright assignment and such. It's a nice license because that way contributors can't stab you in the back. :)

I MIT licensed asciidoctor-diagram itself as well, but the dependencies are not. I'm using the ASLv2 version of plantuml and the LGPLv3 version of ditaa. Those are both ok; neither is 'viral' in the context we're using them. They're external dependencies, so it's not up to me to change the license.

The issue with ditaa 0.9 (and the plantuml version that supports ditaa) is that it's GPLv2 licensed. I personally don't like GPL; too intrusive. The problem here is that if you make a 'derivative work' based on a GPL project, then the derivative work must be GPL licensed too. Derivative work is interpreted very widely in GPL. As soon as you link to a library in any way (static or dynamic, doesn't matter) you've made a derivative work. Translated to Java, if you call a single method of a class that's GPL licensed, your code also needs to be GPL licensed. LGPL relaxes this a bit and allows dynamic linking. That's why I had to make the custom build of ditaa.

Pepijn

On 13-02-14 08:51, asotobu [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] wrote:

mojavelinux wrote

NAML

--
  www.lordofthejars.com

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1465.html
NAML

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1466.html
NAML

--
  www.lordofthejars.com
Reply | Threaded
|

pepijnve
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Dan,

Do you mean example asciidoc files with embedded diagrams? How should people process these? AFAIK you can’t specify extensions to load via the asciidoctor command line just yet. Should I make a little wrapper for it that loads the extensions as well in the examples dir?

Pepijn

On 13 Feb 2014, at 02:08, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was thinking it might be nice to add an examples directory that includes at least one sample each for PlantUML and ditaa to give people something to try. Here's an example of a project that does this:

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

Pepijn,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Asciidoctor 1.5.0 adds the -r flag for requiring additional libraries, but until then a caller script is necessary.

Great summary about the license choice.

Btw, I'm super excited about the dot support!

-Dan

On Feb 13, 2014 1:31 PM, "pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dan,

Do you mean example asciidoc files with embedded diagrams? How should people process these? AFAIK you can’t specify extensions to load via the asciidoctor command line just yet. Should I make a little wrapper for it that loads the extensions as well in the examples dir?

Pepijn

On 13 Feb 2014, at 02:08, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1470.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

pepijnve
Examples added. They’re not very inspired, so if you have any better suggestions feel free to let me know :)

Pepijn

On 13 Feb 2014, at 23:10, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Asciidoctor 1.5.0 adds the -r flag for requiring additional libraries, but until then a caller script is necessary.

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
That's perfect! It gives people a starting point and motivation to dig deeper. If I think of anything to add or change, of course, I'll send a pull request.

Cheers!

At this point, writing a announcement post is straightforward. Shift around some of that text and it will make a great introduction!

-Dan

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM, pepijnve [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Examples added. They’re not very inspired, so if you have any better suggestions feel free to let me know :)

Pepijn

On 13 Feb 2014, at 23:10, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1474.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

leona313
Reply | Threaded
|

xiaoyuandlg
Actually, I feel quite interested in what leona313 mentioned about the QR code thing. You seem to be professional, could you tell me something about qrcode.writer supoorted by java?
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
As it turns out, one of my buddies has written a QR code front-end to another QR code library in Java and blogged about it. Perhaps you can make use of it!

-Dan

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:09 AM, xiaoyuandlg [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, I feel quite interested in what leona313 mentioned about the QR code thing. You seem to be professional, could you tell me something about qrcode.writer supoorted by java?

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Using-PlantUML-and-blockdiag-with-asciidoctor-tp1208p1949.html
NAML

--