Tables get mangled when there is a pipe character inside a literal block within a table cell

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tables get mangled when there is a pipe character inside a literal block within a table cell

richard

The pipe character '|' needs to be escaped within table cells.

However we have just discovered that it also needs to be escaped when it appears
within literal blocks inside table cells.

example.adoc (Source)

|===

| Regular cells work before pipes

| 

I'm some content within a literal block with a pipe here | and here | and I break the table.

|===

example.html (Rendered)

Regular cells work before pipes

…​. I’m some content within a literal block with a pipe here

and here

and I break the table. …​.

environment

$ asciidoctor -v
Asciidoctor 1.5.2 [http://asciidoctor.org]
Runtime Environment (ruby 1.8.7 (2011-06-30 patchlevel 352) [x86_64-linux])

I would imagine this is a potential improvement to the parser (to ignore pipes within literal blocks in table cells). However if this is a known issue and expected behaviour is it documented so we can point our team at it?

If this is a bug let me know if you want me to file a bug on Github.

I have searched the discussion board, and followed a couple of similar bug links to github. However this appears to be the first memntion I can find of pipes in literal blocks within table cells.

The example I have given is pretty innocent. But in large, complex tables the destruction wrought is pretty impressive!

Side note

If the last character in a literal block within a table cell is an escaped pipe then you get this output:

source

|===

| 
I'm literal content with an escaped pipe as the last character \|

|===

renders (in part)

.... I'm literal content with an escaped pipe as the last character |....

Thanks the remarkable tool you have built. I have just sent my boss a link to your donation page!

Our reference: OCDOC-200

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tables get mangled when there is a pipe character inside a literal block within a table cell

mojavelinux
Administrator
Hello Richard!

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 8:52 PM, richard [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
However if this is a known issue and expected behaviour is it documented so we can point our team at it?

Yep, I'm aware of this issue and it's something I'm still putting thought into. It's a tricky one to fix without breaking existing assumptions.

I think what we may be able to do is change the parsing rules so that we only look for a pipe at the beginning of the line (optionally following column spec metadata). That doesn't fix 100% of the cases, but it should handle all but the edge cases.

The reason this is tough is because the content inside an AsciiDoc table cell isn't parsed until after the end of the cell is found. Of course, that means how it finds the end of the cell may be incorrect.

If the last character in a literal block within a table cell is an escaped pipe then you get this output:

Uh oh. That looks like another bug. When it restores the pipe, it drops the endline and, as a result, the block doesn't render properly. Can you report this in the issue tracker?

Thanks the remarkable tool you have built. I have just sent my boss a link to your donation page!

Thank *you*!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tables get mangled when there is a pipe character inside a literal block within a table cell

richard
Thanks as always for the quick response.

I've created a ticket for the second issue:

https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/issues/1457

Also made a donation and my boss was asking how much to donate at stand up this morning :)  Really appreciate what you do.  I've put out for donations in previous projects and its an amazing feeling when people get behind you with real energy.

PS - Have you ever considered building a tree/ui wrapper around Asciidoctor as a commercial arm to help fund your open source work on the parser?  Our inhouse tool builds a document tree from Asciidoctor pages.  It's deeply integrated into our infrastructure so would not make a good starting point.  However I'm sure you could whip something up, especially with your in depth knowledge and flare for design.  A tree wrapper makes Ascidoctor really amazing for massive technical documents and potentially could provide you with an income stream so you can do Asciidoctor full time.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

I've created a ticket for the second issue:

https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/issues/1457

Fixed!

Also made a donation and my boss was asking how much to donate at stand up this morning :)  Really appreciate what you do.  I've put out for donations in previous projects and its an amazing feeling when people get behind you with real energy.

I really appreciate the support. Thanks to the support from the Salt campaign, I've been able to continue working on Asciidoctor a little bit each day. I'd really hope to be able to do more and more because there's so many things we want to accomplish to make content creation awesome.

PS - Have you ever considered building a tree/ui wrapper around Asciidoctor as a commercial arm to help fund your open source work on the parser?  Our inhouse tool builds a document tree from Asciidoctor pages.  It's deeply integrated into our infrastructure so would not make a good starting point.... but I'm sure you could whip something up and it makes Ascidoctor really awesome for massive documents and maybe provided you with an income stream.

I appreciate the suggestion, though that model doesn't really fit in my philosophy or vision for Asciidoctor. (Of course, others are absolutely free to pursue it...and I'm eager to help). Instead, my company (OpenDevise) is focused on helping organizations succeed with Asciidoctor, and content in general. We providing strategy, content, development and training services. We also keep our hands dirty in content. That's the other side of the income stream picture atm. But even with that in place, I want R&D for Asciidoctor be community-supported (i.e., "pure") so that we can focus first and foremost on the needs of the community. Asciidoctor is for all of us.

I'll have more information about what my vision is once I finally get the website up for my company. Work has kept me so busy that it has been taking longer than expected.

Thanks again for your support! The community also thanks you!

-Dan

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
Reply | Threaded
|

richard
Thanks Dan!

Really appreciate your resolving the issue, the great work you do and your integrity.

Best of luck with OpenDevise, you deserve it!
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Richard,

I had totally forgotten about another useful workaround for this issue. You can change the separator characters used for cells using the separator attribute on the table.

[cols="1,1a",separator=¦]
|===
¦Pipe output to vim
¦
----
asciidoctor -o - -s test.adoc | view -
----
|===

See https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/issues/1421 to track the progress of documentation regarding this trick.

Really appreciate your resolving the issue, the great work you do and your integrity.

That really means a lot to hear you say that. It's exactly what I'm aiming to do, and I'll continue doing it.

Cheers,

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen