Simple text with quotes rendering fails?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Simple text with quotes rendering fails?

wolandscat
Am I wrong to think that the following text should render normally as something in quotes, where the last word (the XXXX) is in monospace?

"constraint on objects of type `XXXX`"

However if it is written with a space prior to the final double quote, it renders correctly.

"constraint on objects of type `XXXX` "

Is there some rule to do with spaces and use of more than one kind of quoting?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Simple text with quotes rendering fails?

sean.osterberg
I've seen this behavior as well and will escape the closing quote. So your example becomes:

"constraint on objects of type `XXXX`\"

Adding a space is probably cleaner, but I've done this out of habit.

EDIT: I should add that this behavior is one of those that doesn't show up in the Asciidoctor previewer, only on a file rendered by Asciidoctor itself. Maybe Dan or someone else can chime in on this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Simple text with quotes rendering fails?

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by wolandscat
In this case, you'll want to double up the backticks:

"constraint on objects of type ``XXXX``"

The reason is that the double quote symbol does not represent a word boundary, so technically you are trying to monospace in the middle of a word. This type of exception is something that will be resolved once we adopt an proper inline parser. The regex-base approach misses edge cases like this. Having said that, the double formatting mark is always a quick way to make it clear what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 4:00 AM, wolandscat [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am I wrong to think that the following text should render normally as something in quotes, where the last word (the XXXX) is in monospace?

"constraint on objects of type `XXXX`"

However if it is written with a space prior to the final double quote, it renders correctly.

"constraint on objects of type `XXXX` "

Is there some rule to do with spaces and use of more than one kind of quoting?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Simple-text-with-quotes-rendering-fails-tp3563.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--