Re: [Beginner Question] - Can Asciidoctor be used to create print books ?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
That's a tough question. I think that making print books is outside the scope of Asciidoctor atm, but that doesn't mean Asciidoctor can't assist with it in the early phases of the pipeline. What I recommend is to use Asciidoctor to convert to LaTeX or DocBook, then use tools designed for LaTeX and DocBook to create the final print book.

The Asciidoctor toolchain is primarily focused on digital books (PDF, EPUB3, etc). Asciidoctor PDF {1} helps you create PDFs and Asciidoctor EPUB3 {2} helps you create EPUB3. Both libraries are still in alpha since there's a lot of work remaining, but many people are already using them successfully. Both the PDF and EPUB3 libraries support cover images, and there are hooks for creating the spine pages. Asciidoctor PDF allows you to set the page size to A5. Another tool for creating a digital publication is Editions {3}, which is focused on magazines.

Another solution to look into is O'Reilly's Atlas {4}. To my knowledge, it's not open source, but if you are willing to use their platform you can get all the way to a print book I believe.

Hopefully that will get you started.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Ibn Saeed [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

I am new to AsciiDoctor, i am learning Latex to create print books and so far its working fine but it has a bit of learning a curve though i have no issue with the learning part, i enjoy it.

I stumbled upon Asciidoctor and i wanted to know if it can be used to create print books such as A5 size book or any custom book size.

Can it be also used to create the front, back and spine cover layouts, not the design. I know the design has to be done in photoshop etc.

If yes, can someone guide to the guide in order to start with asciidoc for creating print books ?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Beginner-Question-Can-Asciidoctor-be-used-to-create-print-books-tp2453.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Ibn Saeed
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

Sure, the PDF produced by Asciidoctor PDF can definitely be printed. The margins are just not optimized for a print book (recto, verso) but I suppose we could add such a control.

I don't want to get too deep into customizations for print because it's not my specialty or need. That's what I meant by a focus on digital books (screen, mobile). We're always open to suggestions & contributions though, so I'm not ruling it out.

I do need to document how to set the page size in Asciidoctor PDF. Feel free to file an issue in the GitHub repository to be sure I don't forget.

Cheers,

Dan

On Nov 14, 2014 1:57 AM, "Ibn Saeed [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Isnt the pdf created by asciidoctor suitable for print, what difference is it there when you say that its mainly for digital books ?

I am also looking at atlas, but i dont know how much it costs.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Re-Beginner-Question-Can-Asciidoctor-be-used-to-create-print-books-tp2454p2455.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Ibn Saeed
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

The LaTeX converter is being worked on in the Asciidoctor LaTeX repository {1}. However, you don't need to convert to LaTeX to use Asciidoctor PDF. The whole point of Asciidoctor PDF is to convert directly from AsciiDoc to PDF. If you like the PDF output it generates, that's what I recommend. Otherwise, the PDF generation is outside of the Asciidoctor toolchain.

-Dan

:1: https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-latex

On Nov 14, 2014 5:39 AM, "Ibn Saeed [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have created an issue in github.

I have the content ready for the book, so i would like to play with asciidoctor -> later -> pdf toolchain.

How does asciidoctor covert to latex ?

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Re-Beginner-Question-Can-Asciidoctor-be-used-to-create-print-books-tp2454p2457.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Ibn Saeed
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 21:32:03 -0800 (PST)
"Ibn Saeed [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, i will try and keep an eye on asciidoctor till it gets
> printing books feature.

Well, you can print books by using DocBook toolchain.

> I the meantime, Ill try to look at Sphinx.

Sphinx is in the same category, only different markup - reST -
instead of AsciiDoc which is, imho, more suitable for larger docs.

Sincerely,
Gour

attachment0 (836 bytes) Download Attachment