6 messages Options
Jmm
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Not finding my way in trying to produce a "compact list"

Jmm
Hello,

I have a hard time to find how and where to set the option to render a (bullet) list in compact mode.

It is probably fairly obvious and in front of my nose but I can't find. It is referenced in asciidoc & asciidoctor documentation and noted as a feature present in both implementation.

A small sample would help me.

Jmm
Jmm
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Not finding my way in trying to produce a "compact list"

Jmm
I did some research and come to the following conclusion:

(note : I am looking at the Docbook 4/5 output to produce a PDF)

The Asciidoc documentation (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/chunked/ch17.html) states
A predefined compact option is available to bulleted and numbered lists — this translates to the DocBook spacing="compact" lists attribute which may or may not be processed by the DocBook toolchain. Example:

[options="compact"]
- Compact list item.
- Another compact list item.

[Tip]
To apply the compact option globally define a document-wide compact-option attribute, e.g. using the -a compact-option command-line option.
I tried this and several other combination but don't get the expected <itemizedlist spacing="compact">. Putting it by hand in the Docbook source, it renders as expected in the pdf.

I get the same issue with the docbook 4/5 backend or with the 1.3 maven plugin or with asciidoctor. Writing [compact] is the only way to get something but not what I'd like. I get <itemizedlist mark="compact"> which doesn't render.

Setting the asciidoctor maven plugin parameter "compact" to true doesn't give results as does "--attribute compact" with asciidoctor.

In the compatibility chart of  asciidoctor, compact (list) is marked as available in asciidoc and asciidoctor.

What am I doing wrong ?

Jmm
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Jean-Marc,

The compact option is not currently supported in Asciidoctor. It wouldn't be a difficult thing to add. Would you like to file an issue for it?

I've had it on my mind to introduce a Markdown-style approach for making a compact list as an alternative. For example:

compact:
* one
* two
* three

non-compact:
* one

* two

* three

I first suggested this idea in issue 623 (https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/issues/623). If you think we should pursue that idea, feel free to create it as a separate issue.

Thanks!

-Dan

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Jmm [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The Asciidoc documentation (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/chunked/ch17.html) states
A predefined compact option is available to bulleted and numbered lists — this translates to the DocBook spacing="compact" lists attribute which may or may not be processed by the DocBook toolchain. Example:

[options="compact"]
- Compact list item.

[Tip]
To apply the compact option globally define a document-wide compact-option attribute, e.g. using the -a compact-option command-line option.
I tried this and several other combination but don't get the expected <itemizedlist spacing="compact">. Putting it by hand in the Docbook source, it renders as expected in the pdf.

I get the same issue with the docbook 4/5 backend or with the 1.3 maven plugin or with asciidoctor. Writing [compact] is the only way to get something but not what I'd like. I get <itemizedlist mark="compact"> which doesn't render.

Setting the asciidoctor maven plugin parameter "compact" to true doesn't give results as does "--attribute compact" with asciidoctor.

In the compatibility chart of  asciidoctor, compact (list) is marked as available in asciidoc and asciidoctor.

What am I doing wrong ?

Jmm

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Not-finding-my-way-in-trying-to-produce-a-compact-list-tp1210p1212.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Jmm
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmm
>>The compact option is not currently supported in Asciidoctor

This is a very good explanation why I couldn't make it work. :-) Maybe we should fix the compatibility chart.

I understand the difficulty of implementing it for Docbook (easy) and for orther backends (difficult). Is a Docbook/PDF only option something that could sell ?

Anyway, I'll explore the path of the Docbook/Fop customization. Obviously this is where it should go.

Jmm

2013/12/21 mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]>
Jean-Marc,

The compact option is not currently supported in Asciidoctor. It wouldn't be a difficult thing to add. Would you like to file an issue for it?

I've had it on my mind to introduce a Markdown-style approach for making a compact list as an alternative. For example:

compact:
* one
* two
* three

non-compact:
* one

* two

* three

I first suggested this idea in issue 623 (https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/issues/623). If you think we should pursue that idea, feel free to create it as a separate issue.

Thanks!

-Dan

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Jmm [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[options="compact"]
- Compact list item.

[Tip]

What am I doing wrong ?

Jmm

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Not-finding-my-way-in-trying-to-produce-a-compact-list-tp1210p1212.html
NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Not-finding-my-way-in-trying-to-produce-a-compact-list-tp1210p1213.html
NAML

Jmm
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmm
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Just to let you know that I got the result I was looking for (on all the document though. But that's definitely OK) by adding the following in my FOP customization:

<xsl:attribute-set name="list.item.spacing">
   <xsl:attribute name="space-before.optimum">0.0em</xsl:attribute>
   <xsl:attribute name="space-before.minimum">0.0em</xsl:attribute>
   <xsl:attribute name="space-before.maximum">0.2em</xsl:attribute>
 </xsl:attribute-set>

Jmm

2013/12/21 Jean-Marc Meessen <[hidden email]>
>>The compact option is not currently supported in Asciidoctor

This is a very good explanation why I couldn't make it work. :-) Maybe we should fix the compatibility chart.

I understand the difficulty of implementing it for Docbook (easy) and for orther backends (difficult). Is a Docbook/PDF only option something that could sell ?

Anyway, I'll explore the path of the Docbook/Fop customization. Obviously this is where it should go.

Jmm

2013/12/21 mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]>

Jean-Marc,

compact:
* one
* two
* three

non-compact:
* one

* two

* three

Thanks!

-Dan

[options="compact"]
- Compact list item.

[Tip]

What am I doing wrong ?

Jmm

NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Not-finding-my-way-in-trying-to-produce-a-compact-list-tp1210p1213.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jmm

On Dec 21, 2013 12:41 AM, "Jmm [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >>The compact option is not currently supported in Asciidoctor
>
> This is a very good explanation why I couldn't make it work. :-) Maybe we should fix the compatibility chart.

I forgot to mention that I updated the chart too.

> I understand the difficulty of implementing it for Docbook (easy) and for orther backends (difficult). Is a Docbook/PDF only option something that could sell ?

It's not too hard to implement, I just never got around to adding it before. I think we should certainly support it as AsciiDoc Python does for compatibility reasons, if nothing else.

-Dan