1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Next Asciidoctor version (1.5.3)

mojavelinux
Administrator
Andres et al,

I'm glad you brought up the 1.5.3 release (see message below) as I've been meaning for some time to address this topic on the list.

I am hard at work on the 1.5.3 release (aside from my focus on getting the next alpha of Asciidoctor PDF released). I've rescheduled the 1.5.3 release for Aug 18 (and will do my best to hold to that goal).

To help move the release forward, I recently went through the scheduled issues with Sarah to identify which issues must be addressed before 1.5.3 can be released. These choices were based on promises previously made (and documented) in the issue tracker.

To see what issues remain, refer to the 1.5.3 milestone in the issue tracker.

If anyone has feedback about the issues that were selected, please feel free to share your input.

(Keep in mind that the timeliness of releases is one of the main goals of the Asciidoctor funding campaign. See https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/asciidoctor/supporters)

Regarding the release of the Asciidoctor Gradle plugin, let me clarify that a component release should never be held up waiting for a core release. Our observation has been that it's ideal if the build plugins align with core on major/minor/micro version (e.g., 1.5.2) to avoid confusion. But that doesn't prevent the plugin from being released with a fourth identifier, let's call the the "component version" number (e.g., 1.5.2.1).

If you feel strongly that the micro version number does not need to align, then I'd support a 1.5.3 release based on 1.5.2 core. (Anticipate questions regarding versions, though). What we definitely want to keep aligned is the major and minor version (or else we might as well not try to align the versions at all).

As I discussed recently with Robert, I do think it's reasonable to start releasing preview releases of 1.6.0 with the understanding that preview releases may not align with Asciidoctor core. We could adopt the convention that stable releases are aligned, but preview releases (preview, alpha, beta, etc) can be ahead of core for the purpose of getting it in user's hands and collecting early feedback.

I don't pretend to have all the answers. I'm just doing my best to avoid confusion among users. If my perception is incorrect, I'm always ready to challenge my thinking.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Andres Almiray <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

There are a handful of issues at the asciidoctor-gradle plugin that I'd like to address in the upcoming Hackergartens (tomorrow and next week). If all goes well a new release will be ready. However I'm having trouble picking on a version number as the current one matches the upstream from asciidoctorj and asciidoctor (1.5.2).

Is there going to be an asciidoctor/asciidoctorj 1.5.3 release? Or would these projects skip directly to 1.6.0? If so then I can release asciidoctor-gradle as 1.5.3 and sync back to upstream when 1.6.0 is released. Otherwise this would mean releasing 1.5.2.1 or similar.

--