classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Missing converter backend for 'pdf'

amraalic
Hi all,

I have created a web app in Vaadin that uses and Asciidoctor features for converting .adoc files to .pdf.
The app run on one laptop and I needed it to build on the other one, too.

In the addition, for few days I have been facing the error of missing converter back-end for 'pdf'.

I have already included asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.0-alpha.9.jar and asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.0-alpha.9.jar and all other necessary .jar files that I had added on the previous computer.

Bellow you can find the code and the exception:
fileName = DocumentName.getName();

try{
                File file = new File(fileName + ".adoc");
                if (!file.exists()) {
                        file.createNewFile();
                }

fw = new FileWriter(file.getAbsoluteFile());
                bw = new BufferedWriter(fw);

try {
                        printSelectedElementsInDocument();
                }
                catch (IOException e)
                {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

bw.close();
                Asciidoctor asciidoctor = Asciidoctor.Factory.create();

HashMap<String, Object> options = new HashMap<String, Object>();
                options.put("backend", "pdf");
                options.put("in_place", true);

asciidoctor.convertFile(file,options);

Notification.show("Now, you can download the document.");

try{
                        Resource resource = new FileResource(new File("/home/amra/Documents/eclipse/" +fileName+ ".pdf"));
                        FileDownloader fileDownloader = new FileDownloader(resource);
                        fileDownloader.extend(MasterBrochureTab.getDownloadBrochureButton());
                }
                catch(Exception e)
                {
                        Notification.show("You need to generate a brochure, and then download it.");
                }

}
                catch (IOException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

try{
                        Resource resource = new FileResource(new File( path +fileName+ ".pdf"));
                }
                catch(Exception e)
                {
                }

}
                catch (IOException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

The exception is thrown in asciidoctor.convertFile(file,options); line.

org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (RuntimeError) asciidoctor: FAILED: missing converter for backend 'pdf'. Processing aborted.
        at RUBY.convert(/home/amra/Documents/Diplomski/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/Proba/WEB-INF/lib/asciidoctorj-1.5.2.jar!/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.2/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1016)
        at RUBY.convert(/home/amra/Documents/Diplomski/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/Proba/WEB-INF/lib/asciidoctorj-1.5.2.jar!/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.2/lib/asciidoctor.rb:1499)
        at RUBY.convert_file(/home/amra/Documents/Diplomski/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/Proba/WEB-INF/lib/asciidoctorj-1.5.2.jar!/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.2/lib/asciidoctor.rb:1562)
        at RUBY.convertFile(<script>:68)
        at org.jruby.gen.InterfaceImpl2102387735.convertFile(org/jruby/gen/InterfaceImpl2102387735.gen:13)

PS I had the same exception few weeks ago, but then I have been using attributes to set up the back-end, and you advised me to use options which solved the error. This time I cannot find the root cause.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Amra
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing converter backend for 'pdf'

mojavelinux
Administrator
Amra,

If Asciidoctor is not finding Asciidoctor PDF, then it is most likely a classpath issue. Things are a bit more complex in container and it depends on the environment.

Perhaps you could start with a simple servlet and make sure that works first.

Here's some information about running AsciidoctorJ on Wildfly. I'm not sure if that's what you are using, but you should get the idea of what you'd have to do.

I know that AsciidoctorJ 1.6.0 is going to provide an OSGi bundle, so we're moving in the direction of making it more container friendly.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 2:04 AM, amraalic [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have created a web app in Vaadin that uses and Asciidoctor features for converting .adoc files to .pdf.
The app run on one laptop and I needed it to build on the other one, too.

In the addition, for few days I have been facing the error of missing converter back-end for 'pdf'.

I have already included asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.0-alpha.9.jar and asciidoctorj-pdf-1.5.0-alpha.9.jar and all other necessary .jar files that I had added on the previous computer.

Bellow you can find the code and the exception:
fileName = DocumentName.getName();

try{
                File file = new File(fileName + ".adoc");
                if (!file.exists()) {
                        file.createNewFile();
                }

fw = new FileWriter(file.getAbsoluteFile());
                bw = new BufferedWriter(fw);

try {
                        printSelectedElementsInDocument();
                }
                catch (IOException e)
                {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

bw.close();

try{
                        Resource resource = new FileResource(new File("/home/amra/Documents/eclipse/" +fileName+ ".pdf"));
                }
                catch(Exception e)
                {
                }

}
                catch (IOException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

try{
                        Resource resource = new FileResource(new File( path +fileName+ ".pdf"));
                }
                catch(Exception e)
                {
                }

}
                catch (IOException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

The exception is thrown in asciidoctor.convertFile(file,options); line.

org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (RuntimeError) asciidoctor: FAILED: missing converter for backend 'pdf'. Processing aborted.
        at RUBY.convert(/home/amra/Documents/Diplomski/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/Proba/WEB-INF/lib/asciidoctorj-1.5.2.jar!/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.2/lib/asciidoctor/document.rb:1016)
        at RUBY.convert(/home/amra/Documents/Diplomski/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/Proba/WEB-INF/lib/asciidoctorj-1.5.2.jar!/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.2/lib/asciidoctor.rb:1499)
        at RUBY.convert_file(/home/amra/Documents/Diplomski/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/Proba/WEB-INF/lib/asciidoctorj-1.5.2.jar!/gems/asciidoctor-1.5.2/lib/asciidoctor.rb:1562)
        at RUBY.convertFile(<script>:68)
        at org.jruby.gen.InterfaceImpl2102387735.convertFile(org/jruby/gen/InterfaceImpl2102387735.gen:13)

PS I had the same exception few weeks ago, but then I have been using attributes to set up the back-end, and you advised me to use options which solved the error. This time I cannot find the root cause.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Amra

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Missing-converter-backend-for-pdf-tp4127.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen