classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Merging all docker repositories into a single one

Guillaume
Hello,

As you may know, we have currently 2 docker containers in the organisations (Github and Docker Hub),  
- the first one (docker-asciidoctor) contains the whole ecosystem so people don't need to setup the suite.
- the second one (asciidoctorj-wildfly) is a web editor using AsciidoctorJ and Wildfly

The idea is to merge both into a single Github project and keeping 2 docker container / builds, so it will be easier to maintain and it reduces the amount of GH repos we have.

WDYT ?

Cheers,
Guillaume
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Merging all docker repositories into a single one

LightGuardjp
I don't see any issues with this.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Guillaume [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

As you may know, we have currently 2 docker containers in the organisations (Github and Docker Hub),  
- the first one (docker-asciidoctor) contains the whole ecosystem so people don't need to setup the suite.
- the second one (asciidoctorj-wildfly) is a web editor using AsciidoctorJ and Wildfly

The idea is to merge both into a single Github project and keeping 2 docker container / builds, so it will be easier to maintain and it reduces the amount of GH repos we have.

WDYT ?

Cheers,
Guillaume

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Merging-all-docker-repositories-into-a-single-one-tp2816.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mgreau
In reply to this post by Guillaume
Hi,

+1 for all Dockerfiles in one GitHub repository.

However, like you can read on the asciidoctor.org news [1], one of the main goal of docker-asciidoctorj project is to verify that AsciidoctorJ works in an application server (only WildFly for now).
So, IMHO even if the Dockerfile is moved to another GitHub project, I think that this docker-asciidoctorj project should continue to exist (maybe with another name).

I think that we also need to discuss about the naming convention for Docker images in Docker Hub, but maybe in another thread.

@Guillaume
The asciidoctorj-wildfly docker image doesn't include a web editor but just all components required to use Asciidoctor in a WildFly instance, but a web editor is a good use case :)

] http://asciidoctor.org/news/2015/03/04/docker-asciidoctorj-announcement/
mgreau.com/posts => HubPress Blog :)
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
I'm in favor of keeping separate docker images / repos for now.

Perhaps one can extend from the other or from a base image (isn't that possible?), though that's not necessarily a requirement since I think these images serve different audiences.

* The docker-asciidoctor image serves end users who don't want to have to setup the toolchain to invoke Asciidoctor and get all the outputs they want.
* The docker-asciidoctorj image serves developers / admins who want to run applications based on AsciidoctorJ on an application server such as adoc-editor.*

* We might want to think about a more specialized name to communicate the purpose of docker-asciidoctorj, but for now that's understood.

I also agree that the name of the docker-asciidoctor image on Docker Hub doesn't need to include "docker" in the name. Is that possible? We could name it either "asciidoctor" or "asciidoctor-toolchain" (since the focus is on utilizing the toolchain as an end user). wdyt?

Cheers,

-Dan

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:56 PM, mgreau [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

+1 for all Dockerfiles in one GitHub repository.

However, like you can read on the asciidoctor.org news [1], one of the main goal of docker-asciidoctorj project is to verify that AsciidoctorJ works in an application server (only WildFly for now).
So, IMHO even if the Dockerfile is move to another GitHub project, I think that this docker-asciidoctorj project should continue to exist (maybe with another name).

I think that we also need to discuss about the naming convention for Docker images in Docker Hub, but maybe in another thread.

@Guillaume
The asciidoctorj-wildfly docker image doesn't include a web editor but just all components required to use Asciidoctor in a WildFly instance, but a web editor is a good use case :)

] http://asciidoctor.org/news/2015/03/04/docker-asciidoctorj-announcement/
mgreau.com => awestruct + asciidoctor website/blog

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Merging-all-docker-repositories-into-a-single-one-tp2816p2818.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mgreau
1) docker-asciidoctor
  • +1 to renamed it as asciidoctor-toolchain
  • I think that we can work on some subjects to improve this image:
    • Maybe find an other OS like it's already discussed here https://github.com/asciidoctor/docker-asciidoctor/issues/13
    • I think that it is better to cut this image into several images in order to have a base image and then some others intermediate images with less things in it (the hardest thing will be to find a way to organize these images)
    • Also, if we define all versions as ENV variables (asciidoctor-*, dependencies...), it will be simpler for users to override some versions if needed (tests...)
    • Finally we should create releases on GitHub and Versions/Tags on DockerHub but the pre-requisite of that is to identify versions for all components (like asciidoctor-backends for example)
2) docker-asciidoctorj

For me the main goal of this project is to check that AsciidoctorJ could be well integrate into different applications servers (Tomcat 7, 8, WildFly 8, 9, 10, Jetty...) and so to have examples for users about how configure it and its dependencies on each environment. So for example IMO, it could be renamed as asciidoctorj-servers-integration or asciidoctorj-integration Cheers, Max
mgreau.com/posts => HubPress Blog :)
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
I like this plan!

As for the names:

* asciidoctor-toolchain - very nice, especially since we're so used to saying "the DocBook toolchain"
* asciidoctorj-server-integration seems like the best choice to me.

Let's keep it going!

-Dan

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 5:20 PM, mgreau [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
1) docker-asciidoctor
  • +1 to renamed it as asciidoctor-toolchain
  • I think that we can work on some subjects to improve this image:
    • Maybe find an other OS like it's already discussed here https://github.com/asciidoctor/docker-asciidoctor/issues/13
    • I think that it is better to cut this image into several images in order to have a base image and then some others intermediate images with less things in it (the hardest thing will be to find a way to organize these images)
    • Also, if we define all versions as ENV variables (asciidoctor-*, dependencies...), it will be simpler for users to override some versions if needed (tests...)
    • Finally we should create releases on GitHub and Versions/Tags on DockerHub but the pre-requisite of that is to identify versions for all components (like asciidoctor-backends for example)
2) docker-asciidoctorj

For me the main goal of this project is to check that AsciidoctorJ could be well integrate into different applications servers (Tomcat 7, 8, WildFly 8, 9, 10, Jetty...) and so to have examples for users about how configure it and its dependencies on each environment. So for example IMO, it could be renamed as asciidoctorj-servers-integration or asciidoctorj-integration Cheers, Max
mgreau.com => awestruct + asciidoctor website/blog

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Merging-all-docker-repositories-into-a-single-one-tp2816p3547.html
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen