classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MacOS Sierra, all beta extensions don't work

renderman
Hi all,

I'm on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 and after the RVM install I can perfectly see the asciidoctor command:

asciidoctor -v returns

Asciidoctor 1.5.5 [http://asciidoctor.org]
Runtime Environment (ruby 2.0.0p648 (2015-12-16 revision 53162) [universal.x86_64-darwin16]) (lc:UTF-8 fs:UTF-8 in:- ex:UTF-8)

However, all extra commands, like asciidoctor-pdf, asciidoctor-epub3 and asciidoctor-latex don't work at all.

-bash: asciidoctor-pdf: command not found

All packages have been installed without errors.

So far, I'm lost. Any help with this issue?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MacOS Sierra, all beta extensions don't work

mojavelinux
Administrator
The asciidoctor gem only provides the asciidoctor command. You need to install additional gems to get the other commands you mentioned. For example, for asciidoctor-pdf, you must install the asciidoctor-pdf gem. Have you run this command?

$ gem install asciidoctor-pdf --pre

-Dan

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM, renderman [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 and after the RVM install I can perfectly see the asciidoctor command:

asciidoctor -v returns

Runtime Environment (ruby 2.0.0p648 (2015-12-16 revision 53162) [universal.x86_64-darwin16]) (lc:UTF-8 fs:UTF-8 in:- ex:UTF-8)

However, all extra commands, like asciidoctor-pdf, asciidoctor-epub3 and asciidoctor-latex don't work at all.

-bash: asciidoctor-pdf: command not found

All packages have been installed without errors.

So far, I'm lost. Any help with this issue?

Thanks.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/MacOS-Sierra-all-beta-extensions-don-t-work-tp5678.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

renderman
Of course, but it seems they don't install.

which asciidoctor command returns '/usr/local/bin/asciidoctor', but I can't find others.

which asciidoctor-pdf
which asciidoctor-epub3
which asciidoctor-latex

commands don't return any result.

mojavelinux wrote
The asciidoctor gem only provides the asciidoctor command. You need to
install additional gems to get the other commands you mentioned. For
example, for asciidoctor-pdf, you must install the asciidoctor-pdf gem.
Have you run this command?

(see
https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-pdf#install-the-published-gem)

-Dan
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
If which is resolving the asciidoctor command in /usr, then rvm is not fully activated. rvm installs gems in your home directory (which I often refer to as user space).

To activate rvm, run

$ rvm use 2.4

If you haven't installed a Ruby using rvm yet, it should give you the instructions to do so.

Once rvm is active, Ruby and RubyGems will work the way they should since it sets up and manages the environment correctly.

-Dan

On Jun 20, 2017 4:58 PM, "renderman [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course, but it seems they don't install.

which asciidoctor command returns '/usr/local/bin/asciidoctor', but I can't find others.

which asciidoctor-pdf
which asciidoctor-epub3
which asciidoctor-latex

commands don't return any result.

mojavelinux wrote
The asciidoctor gem only provides the asciidoctor command. You need to
install additional gems to get the other commands you mentioned. For
example, for asciidoctor-pdf, you must install the asciidoctor-pdf gem.
Have you run this command?

(see
https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-pdf#install-the-published-gem)

-Dan

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/MacOS-Sierra-all-beta-extensions-don-t-work-tp5678p5680.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

renderman
I see better new, it seems there are two problems:

1. The multi-user environment. I install everything as administrator and work as regular user. I've added the RVM in the PATH of my regular user, but still nothing;

2. I've installed the RVM following the instructions on the site and got the asciidoctor working, but when I tried to install asciidoctor-pdf, I was invited to install a newer version of Ruby. I tried, but RVM wants to install Homebrew to do so.

OUT OF QUESTION!!! I will never use Homebrew again. Enough is enough. I use pkgsrc, but there is no asciidoctor.  It's OK to use RVM, but not pkgsrc AND rvm AND Homebrew.

which ruby returns /opt/pkg/bin/ruby, ruby -v returns ruby 2.3.4p301 (2017-03-30 revision 58214) [x86_64-darwin13].

Pkgsrc works for all users, administrator and regular ones, only two lines to add to the PATH.

However, which asciidoctor returns /usr/local/bin/asciidoctor and asciidoctor-v returns

So there is a mismatch. I presume I will delete rvm and continue to use pkgsrc as it works and eventually try Macports.

mojavelinux wrote
If which is resolving the asciidoctor command in /usr, then rvm is not
fully activated. rvm installs gems in your home directory (which I often
refer to as user space).

To activate rvm, run

$ rvm use 2.4

If you haven't installed a Ruby using rvm yet, it should give you the
instructions to do so.

Once rvm is active, Ruby and RubyGems will work the way they should since
it sets up and manages the environment correctly.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
This all really comes down to the fact that there is no good guide for using Ruby version managers like RVM. As I have stated in the past, as soon as I have the opportunity to do so, I intend to write one (I've just been very busy).

I really don't understand why RVM coupled itself to Homebrew on OSX. I use RVM on Linux and therefore I don't have to mess with Homebrew. I think there's an option somewhere in RVM to work entirely in user space without Homebrew, but I'd have to research it.

There are alternatives like rbenv that are a bit more lightweight. While I prefer RVM (on Linux), I understand it isn't for everyone. Thus, in my guide, I will offer at least two solutions. Probably RVM and rbenv.

Having said that, I do have an OSX machine and I have install RVM in a matter of minutes in user space without any problems. But I also recognize that I have a very strong familiarity with RVM and therefore should not expect others to know this magical steps. While it really isn't many steps..it is important to have good instructions because there are a lot of ways it can get messed up.

> So there is a mismatch. I presume I will delete rvm and continue to use pkgsrc as it works and eventually try Macports.

Here's the position I take on this. Use whatever works for you. But make sure that you are in control of the Ruby environment. I just don't trust the Ruby environment managed any other way because I've seen the results. RubyGems is not complex, but package managers have done everything they can do (it seems) to make it not work like it should.

If you do happen to come across a good guide to manage Ruby / RubyGems, esp for OSX, I know that many people in this community will find it helpful.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM, renderman [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see better new, it seems there are two problems:

1. The multi-user environment. I install everything as administrator and work as regular user. I've added the RVM in the PATH of my regular user, but still nothing;

2. I've installed the RVM following the instructions on the site and got the asciidoctor working, but when I tried to install asciidoctor-pdf, I was invited to install a newer version of Ruby. I tried, but RVM wants to install Homebrew to do so.

OUT OF QUESTION!!! I will never use Homebrew again. Enough is enough. I use pkgsrc, but there is no asciidoctor.  It's OK to use RVM, but not pkgsrc AND rvm AND Homebrew.

which ruby returns /opt/pkg/bin/ruby, ruby -v returns ruby 2.3.4p301 (2017-03-30 revision 58214) [x86_64-darwin13].

Pkgsrc works for all users, administrator and regular ones, only two lines to add to the PATH.

However, which asciidoctor returns /usr/local/bin/asciidoctor and asciidoctor-v returns

So there is a mismatch. I presume I will delete rvm and continue to use pkgsrc as it works and eventually try Macports.

mojavelinux wrote
If which is resolving the asciidoctor command in /usr, then rvm is not
fully activated. rvm installs gems in your home directory (which I often
refer to as user space).

To activate rvm, run

$ rvm use 2.4

If you haven't installed a Ruby using rvm yet, it should give you the
instructions to do so.

Once rvm is active, Ruby and RubyGems will work the way they should since
it sets up and manages the environment correctly.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/MacOS-Sierra-all-beta-extensions-don-t-work-tp5678p5682.html
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

renderman
Hi,

First of all, many thanks for your help and the explanations. I think the problem comes from the misunderstanding that MacOS is certainly a UNIX, but with a very special apple pie taste and Stifler’s mom serving as root.

The regular mantra “never work as root” is still there, but in Linux we have root and regular users that can eventually sudo, unless the root prevents them to do so. MacOS doesn’t have root account enabled and while it’s possible to do so, see [How to enable the root user on your Mac](https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012) article, it’s strongly NOT recommended. Apple is our root, Stifler’s mom, aka SIP, prevents us from doing really bad things with our own system, and the MacOS administrator is poor man’s root. Regular users can’t sudo at all, they must become administrators for that (wheel group).

Usually it’s not a problem, because an ordinary user can install some kind of software, but it becomes problematic if one wants to use command line software from the very attractive FOSS universe.

Macs are easy, yes.. kinda. Let’s see how I install the apps on my Macs:

1. Mac App Store. Every user can install, central repository and the possibility to update all apps at once. Now we understand why Macports has never become and official way do install the software on Macs.
2. DMG. I mount the DMG, open it, find the xxx.app file and copy to the /Applications folder. Easy, every user can do that if the administrator’s login and password can be provided. No centralised updates, one needs to launch the app and check for the updates, IF the app has a built-in support for that. Atom has it, of course, some others don’t.
3. PKG. Virtually the same thing, but goes deeper into the system.

OK, let’s the fun begin.

4. FOSS software packaged as PKG. I use those for git, GnuPG and MacTeX as those are critical components for me. MacTeX has an update mechanism, for the other two I check the announcements and security alerts. The administrator installs them, every user can use them immediately. Yes, PKG installs things very very deeply.
5. Package managers, pkgsrc, Macports, Fink, NIX, Homebrew and some others. The first two really work, just a couple of lines to add to every user’s .bach_profile and we are go. Fink has its problems, NIX works well, but the multi-user configuration is beyond my competences, Homebrew is an easy start and a difficult end.
6. Special purpose package managers, like, you guess it, RVM and rbenv. Why not, but why not to use pkgsrc and Macports? And next one has a special secret pleasure while reading “the package X installs best with RVM and the package Y must use rbenv as we don’t provide RVM builds”. Easy ;-)
7. Apps’ own, conflicting and messy package managers, like Vundle & Co.

Macs are easy ;-) And I don’t even mention one can compile the sources. Only developers do so, certainly not a user like myself.

Managing all this stuff quickly becomes a nightmare.

Regarding the user space. Yes, it can be done, but I prefer to install the things system-wide and use different user profiles for different work.

Now, back to asciidoctor. I understand that a quickly evolving project can prefer the RVM method to some other package managers, but RVM itself is not reliable as it wants me to install Homebrew. The first install is OK and asciidoctor works. But when one tries to add asciidoctor-pdf, asciidoctor-epub3 and asciidoctor-latex, the newer version of Ruby is required and RVM tries to install Homebrew. I’ve installed Ruby 2.4.1 with pkgsrc and have provoked the mismatch.

So far, pkgsrc for MacOS doesn’t have asciidoctor, but has asciidoc. Asciidoctor is in the main pkgsrc source tree for OpenBSD, so there is some hope. Macports has ruby, asciidoctor and eventually asciidoc. Of course, I prefer those as I can manage the updates easily. But the three a.m. add-ons are not present.

Of course, if I can use RVM to install the whole toolchain, why not, but RVM + Homebew, certainly not. Maybe chruby?

Last thing, Asciidoc Preview plugin for Atom works, asciidoctor-preview doesn’t.

Best.