Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Line continuation bug in tables?

wolandscat
I have the raw adoc content:

[width="100%",cols="1,1,2,3",options="header",]
|===========
|AOM type             |RM Primitive type       |AOM Primitive constrainer type |Explanation
|`C_BOOLEAN`          |`Boolean`               |`List <Boolean>`               |Can represent one or two Boolean values, enabling the logical constraints \
                                                                                'true', 'false' and 'true or false' to be expressed.
|`C_STRING`           |`String`                |`List <String>`                |A list of possible string values, which may include regular expressions, \
                                                                                which are delimited by '/' characters.
|===========

Note the `\` line continuations. The output looks as follows:

The line wrapping seems to work (with '+', I get hard breaks), but the `\` are retained. I think this must be an error?

Platform info: Asciidoctor 1.5.4 [http://asciidoctor.org]
Runtime Environment (ruby 2.2.2p95 (2015-04-13 revision 50295) [x86_64-cygwin]) (lc:UTF-8 fs:Windows-1252 in:- ex:UTF-8)

- thomas
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Line continuation bug in tables?

wolandscat
Of course, 1 minute after posting, it occurred to me that it might work as I wanted with no line continuation character at all, and it does. So that means that the `\` is only sometimes parsed as a line continuation control character?

- thomas
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Line continuation bug in tables?

mojavelinux
Administrator

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM, wolandscat [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
`\` is only sometimes parsed as a line continuation control character?

\ is only used to continue an attribute value to a subsequent line (both the \ and endline get dropped). When working with paragraph content, there is no need to use a continuation character. (Like in HTML, newlines are insignificant within a single paragraph).

If you want newlines in a paragraph to be preserved, only then do you need to add a + to the end of the line.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux