Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Label formatting

paulc
The experimental UI macros currently support buttons, menus and keyboard shortcuts. I think these macros are very useful, as they are compact and provide more semantic information. The additional semantic level not only enables different visualisations in the final document but also helps to keep the formatting consistent, as without them it's hard to remember which UI items are marked with bold, monospace etc..

Would it be possible to add a macro for UI labels (e.g. label:[Name])? We often have to refer to particular entry fields by their label and none of the other macros really matches.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Label formatting

mojavelinux
Administrator
I completely agree. This is clearly a missing feature in the UI macro palette in Asciidoctor. Would you mind filing an issue in GitHub?

I don't mind using the macro name "label", though we could also consider "lbl" or something else that's 3 chars or less.

lbl:[Name]

This can be used to identify any text in a user interface...though most often it will be for a form label.

Note that you can implement this before it's available in Asciidoctor core by writing an inline macro extension. See the extensions lab for ideas: https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-extensions-lab/tree/master/lib

-Dan

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM, paulc [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The experimental UI macros currently support buttons, menus and keyboard shortcuts. I think these macros are very useful, as they are compact and provide more semantic information. The additional semantic level not only enables different visualisations in the final document but also helps to keep the formatting consistent, as without them it's hard to remember which UI items are marked with bold, monospace etc..

Would it be possible to add a macro for UI labels (e.g. label:[Name])? We often have to refer to particular entry fields by their label and none of the other macros really matches.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Label-formatting-tp1506.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--