IMPORTANT: retrieve your docgist documents (deadline May 15)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IMPORTANT: retrieve your docgist documents (deadline May 15)

mojavelinux
Administrator
If you previously created a document on gist.asciidoctor.org using File > New Empty Document, that document got stored in a shared Firebase instance. If you want to keep the document, you'll need to return to the URL and export it (i.e., copy the text from the docgist editor). You have until May 15 to do so.

The reason this is happening is because Firebase is requiring the owner of the Firebase instance to take action to migrate the data to a new system. If no action is taken, the instance will be shutdown. Unfortunately, the owner of the instance is no longer with us and no one from the Asciidoctor project knows the secrets for the instance. Therefore, Firebase will terminate the instance on May 15.

On May 15, I can point gist.asciidoctor.org to a new instance that the Asciidoctor project owns, but that means the database will effectively be reset.

Note this only affects the editor on docgist. If you are using docgist to view a document hosted on one of the other services that docgist integrates with (e.g., GitHub or Dropbox), those documents will continue to work (because in those cases, docgist is just acting as a proxy).

In case you're wondering, I agree it is time to rethink the future of gist.asciidoctor.org and document what the terms are if we continue to host it at asciidoctor.org. I should have been more involved in the decision making process when it was set up. That was my mistake. This is opportunity to rectify that oversight.

Cheers,

-Dan

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: IMPORTANT: retrieve your docgist documents (deadline May 15)

apj68
It appears to be unavailable at this time.  Is that temporary?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: IMPORTANT: retrieve your docgist documents (deadline May 15)

apj68
Oops, just looks like the link in the announcement was bad.  This one works: https://gist.asciidoctor.org/