Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to disable download option in video block macro

stevef
When I use a video block macro to reference an .mp4 hosted on a website,  its playback controls provide an option to download the video. Is there a way to suppress the download option while still providing the other playback controls?  

Please note I'm not referring to videos on YouTube or Vimeo. Also, I know that the download option does not appear if the video is hosted on the same site as the HTML page.

In my use case, I want to embed the Asciidoctor HTML inside an iOS app. To keep the app small, I want to host videos outside of the app. But I don't want users to download them.

Is this possible? If not, this might be an enhancement to consider. Thanks Dan!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to disable download option in video block macro

mojavelinux
Administrator
What would the HTML need to be for that? Is is the same as the download attribute proposed here?

-Dan

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM, stevef [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I use a video block macro to reference an .mp4 hosted on a website,  its playback controls provide an option to download the video. Is there a way to suppress the download option while still providing the other playback controls?  

Please note I'm not referring to videos on YouTube or Vimeo. Also, I know that the download option does not appear if the video is hosted on the same site as the HTML page.

In my use case, I want to embed the Asciidoctor HTML inside an iOS app. To keep the app small, I want to host videos outside of the app. But I don't want users to download them.

Is this possible? If not, this might be an enhancement to consider. Thanks Dan!

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-to-disable-download-option-in-video-block-macro-tp5564.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux
Reply | Threaded
|

stevef
Not the same. I now think you should disregard my request, Dan. After more testing, it appears the download option is a behavior of the HTML5 video tag. That's something Asciidoctor would not have control over.

The HTML5 player works differently if the HTML page is opened from a hard drive, versus a host server. If the video is in the same folder as the html page, and I open the page from my hard drive, the player does not have the download link. When both files are hosted, the player always displays a download option, regardless of where the video is.  The video can be on the same site, or another. Either way, the download link is shown.

So if I were to embed the html in an app, I would still have the download link if the video was hosted on a server.

I use AsciiDoctor for all kinds of projects. Thanks Dan, for supporting it and vastly improving this awesome markup and toolchains.
Reply | Threaded
|

stevef
When I open the url in Safari on my iPhone, iOS does not display download options. So the video macro should work great for my use case, which is to develop a training course iOS app. In Chrome, the download option appears, but since Xcode apps use Safari, users will never see a button. I apologize for asking for help before I had thoroughly vetted my approach.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Thanks for the insight!

> I use AsciiDoctor for all kinds of projects. Thanks Dan, for supporting it and vastly improving this awesome markup and toolchains.

Thanks! I love hearing that! I'm going to keep doing my part to make it more awesome by the day.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM, stevef [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I open the url in Safari on my iPhone, iOS does not display download options. So the video macro should work great for my use case, which is to develop a training course iOS app. In Chrome, the download option appears, but since Xcode apps use Safari, users will never see a button. I apologize for asking for help before I had thoroughly vetted my approach.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-to-disable-download-option-in-video-block-macro-tp5564p5567.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | https://twitter.com/mojavelinux