classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How can we make better AsciidocFX ?

rahmanusta
Dear Asciidoctor community;

We are authoring AsciidocFX that is a toolchain and editor for Asciidoctor.

I wonder, how can we make it better and better. Can you help us by testing of it? We need new ideas to make it better.  

Thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How can we make better AsciidocFX ?

mojavelinux
Administrator
The development of AsciidocFX is very important to the tooling effort in AsciiDoc / Asciidoctor, as are all the tooling initiatives. As I mentioned in another thread, we need lots of experimentation to push tooling for writers to the next level.

One idea that springs to mind, which I mentioned in my talk at Mix-IT, is to have a document outline view like we do for programming languages. This should be possible by using the line and file information provided by the AST when you enable the `sourcemap` option when loading the document. (see https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/blob/master/test/document_test.rb#L292).

Here's an example of how it might look:

https://twitter.com/mojavelinux/status/581480107338022914

I did something similar for Gedit last year (though I'm not sure it works anymore). See

It might be cool to have the ability to drag and drop sections in the outline view and have them reordered in the source document.

There's room for other outline-style views as well, such as a list of block images, listing blocks, etc. We might need more hooks in Asciidoctor core to support this so feel free to let us know when the API is falling short.

I'll let others chime in with more ideas.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM, rahmanusta [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I wonder, how can we make it better and better. Can you help us by testing of it? We need new ideas to make it better.  

Thank you

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-can-we-make-better-AsciidocFX-tp3109.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

LightGuardjp
Comments and comment storage, think like Word or Google doc style commenting. 

Other thing that's important would be a pluggable tool chain rendering. 

On Sunday, May 3, 2015, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The development of AsciidocFX is very important to the tooling effort in AsciiDoc / Asciidoctor, as are all the tooling initiatives. As I mentioned in another thread, we need lots of experimentation to push tooling for writers to the next level.

One idea that springs to mind, which I mentioned in my talk at Mix-IT, is to have a document outline view like we do for programming languages. This should be possible by using the line and file information provided by the AST when you enable the `sourcemap` option when loading the document. (see https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/blob/master/test/document_test.rb#L292).

Here's an example of how it might look:

https://twitter.com/mojavelinux/status/581480107338022914

I did something similar for Gedit last year (though I'm not sure it works anymore). See

It might be cool to have the ability to drag and drop sections in the outline view and have them reordered in the source document.

There's room for other outline-style views as well, such as a list of block images, listing blocks, etc. We might need more hooks in Asciidoctor core to support this so feel free to let us know when the API is falling short.

I'll let others chime in with more ideas.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM, rahmanusta [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-can-we-make-better-AsciidocFX-tp3109.html
NAML

--

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-can-we-make-better-AsciidocFX-tp3109p3113.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml-node%2Bs49171n1h37@n6.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml-node+s49171n1h37@...
NAML

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Reply | Threaded
|

rahmanusta
In reply to this post by rahmanusta
Hello Guys;

@Dan

We implemented outline feature with source_map in AsciidocFX 1.3.7. Thanks for this idea!

@Jason

To add comments to documents needs to keep metadatas about where is and what is comments. I think it can make AsciidocFX more complex.

For another suggestion, I'm thinking to make AsciidocFX  as a more pluggable editor. For example brackets and atom have good plugin system. We dont have yet. We need to redesign it.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM, rahmanusta [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm thinking to make AsciidocFX  as a more pluggable editor.

+1 Extensions / plugins are the key to a growing ecosystem.

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM, rahmanusta [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
We implemented outline feature with source_map in AsciidocFX 1.3.7. Thanks for this idea!

Very nice! I'll give it a try and spread the word.

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
I just gave it a quick run through and I can definitely say that this is becoming very promising as a writer's IDE. I love the outline. I like the sync between the editor and the preview, though I think we have to keep thinking about how to make this a nice, smooth experience. And, of course, the support for reveal.js presentations is just slick.

I'll collect more specific feedback and submit it via the issue tracker.

Nice work! I think more people should definitely take the time to evaluate this tool.

-Dan

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Very nice! I'll give it a try and spread the word.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeremie Bresson
For styled text on JavaFx Tom Schindl has developed a component: StyledTextArea. It can be used in Applications relying on the Eclipse 4 Application Platform or in a standalone JavaFx Application (without e4 and JavaFx). The project is independent from the Eclipse IDE.

Instead of having to develop the Java code for partitioning and tokenizing the text, a DSL can be used. Have a look at the "dart.ldef" to get an example for the dart language. In a blog post today, Tom announced that he had extended the DSL to support Asciidoc syntax concepts.

If someday there is a formal syntax definition for Asciidoc and an ANTLR parser (asciidoc-grammar-prototype). we do not need to use the DSL.

At the end, the the syntax highlighting (like coloration) is achieved with CSS in the JavaFX component.

If I understood it correctly, the goal of the Compensator project (a subproject of the e(fx)clipse project) is to develop reusable functionalities that can be associated together to build a specific IDE. This approach is really different from current Java IDE (a platform with a module engine and a bunch of plugins).

Maybe some ideas/features of the Compensator project could be used in the AsciidoctorFx project.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
That's very cool & promising. Thanks for sharing, Jérémie!

-Dan

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:21 AM, Jeremie Bresson [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
For styled text on JavaFx Tom Schindl has developed a component: StyledTextArea. It can be used in Applications relying on the Eclipse 4 Application Platform or in a standalone JavaFx Application (without e4 and JavaFx). The project is independent from the Eclipse IDE.

Instead of having to develop the Java code for partitioning and tokenizing the text, a DSL can be used. Have a look at the "dart.ldef" to get an example for the dart language. In a blog post today, Tom announced that he had extended the DSL to support Asciidoc syntax concepts.

If someday there is a formal syntax definition for Asciidoc and an ANTLR parser (asciidoc-grammar-prototype). we do not need to use the DSL.

At the end, the the syntax highlighting (like coloration) is achieved with CSS in the JavaFX component.

If I understood it correctly, the goal of the Compensator project (a subproject of the e(fx)clipse project) is to develop reusable functionalities that can be associated together to build a specific IDE. This approach is really different from current Java IDE (a platform with a module engine and a bunch of plugins).

Maybe some ideas/features of the Compensator project could be used in the AsciidoctorFx project.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-can-we-make-better-AsciidocFX-tp3109p3745.html
NAML

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
Reply | Threaded
|

wolandscat
Sorry to be lazy, but rather than going and testing (just yet), can you say whether AsciidocFX has the same folder-edit ability as Brackets, and also the same search-and-replace over whole sections of the filesystem (with full regex)? I've found that indispensible, and I'd probably stay with Brackets for that reason alone until AsciidocFX had it (but maybe it does today?)

I'd certainly like the outlining view (headings, figures, includes).

As mentioned on another thread I started, Xrefs and citations management would be the biggest win for me.