Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How can I render big asciidoc files?

documentationchronicles
I have 200k of  lines asciidoc document.I am trying to render my asciidoc document as HTML.I have tried the following techniques but no one works.Any advice appreciated.

Asciidoc Previews
I have tried asciidoc preview programs(AsciidocFX, atom editor with asciidoc extension). What I see is preview editors do not sync changes they rebuild the whole HTML on every change.

asciidoc-base
I have tried asciidoc-base which is asciidoc HTML renderer for Ubuntu. It throws so many warnings and errors when I tried to render my asciidoc document. I have some missing references for sections. How can I suppress this type of negligible errors and render successfully as html?
My rendering output with asciidoc-base:

q@q-ABRA-A5-V12-1:~/Downloads$ asciidoc doc.adoc
    asciidoc: WARNING: doc.adoc: line 101: no callouts refer to list item 1
    asciidoc: WARNING: doc.adoc: line 649: missing section: [...]
   ... I have a lot of error like that

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 6023, in asciidoc
        document.translate(has_header) # Generate the output.
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 1666, in translate
        Section.translate()
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 2307, in translate
        Section.translate_body()
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 2315, in translate_body
        next.translate()
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 3074, in translate
        Section.translate_body(self)
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 2315, in translate_body
        next.translate()
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 2937, in translate
        attrs['style'] = self.calc_style(self.index)
      File "/usr/bin/asciidoc", line 2870, in calc_style
        assert False
    AssertionError
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How can I render big asciidoc files?

abelsromero
You are using the python "Asciidoc" implementation, but this forum is for the newer Asciidoctor (based on ruby). Asciidoctor is the one used by the apps you mentioned.

I can't comment on previewers, but regarding the rendeder, can you try installing Asciidoctor (https://asciidoctor.org/docs/install-toolchain/#install-using-apt-get-on-debian-or-ubuntu) and see if it works?
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
To add to what Abel said, Asciidoctor is also extremely fast when compared to AsciiDoc Python. Asciidoctor can convert AsciiDoc files which are several megabytes in under a second.

You are correct that the previewers don't currently sync changes from the source but rather convert anew each time. Sync is an extremely complex problem and since Asciidoctor is currently fast enough, it's not worth trying to solve right now.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018, 04:55 abelsromero [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are using the python "Asciidoc" implementation, but this forum is for the newer Asciidoctor (based on ruby). Asciidoctor is the one used by the apps you mentioned.

I can't comment on previewers, but regarding the rendeder, can you try installing Asciidoctor (https://asciidoctor.org/docs/install-toolchain/#install-using-apt-get-on-debian-or-ubuntu) and see if it works?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/How-can-I-render-big-asciidoc-files-tp6468p6469.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

documentationchronicles
In reply to this post by abelsromero
Thanks a lot. Asciidoctor on ruby implementation is far better than python implementation.