classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Help in approach on making a maintainable document

Linda
I'd like to ask for some help/advice on how to make a maintainable document set. I'll bring forward the current setup first, then what I'd like to have and looked into so far.

The document set has been converted from multiple Word documents to many more asciidoc files. I have taken plain text and added asciidoc syntax. The asciidoc is converted by Maven using asciidoctorj. There is html output as well as pdf. I have created a few 'main' asciidoc files, that include other files as their chapters. Bigger chapters have been chopped up in separate asciidoc files in the same manner.

The blocks I'd like to have different mark up for, are currently marked up as admonition/example blocks. They can contain tables:

[NAME]
====
abcdefg..
====

I'd like to have blocks of text with different mark up and different alignment on the page:
* With the help of the extension, I have made a custom admonition block. I also made the necessary changes for the pdf theme. This works.
* Other blocks I'd like to see without an icon, aside of the text, floating. I cannot see this working as admonition or example block. I tried Sidebar block (****) but didn't see a difference and asciidoc markup/tables were not created.
* And a few blocks I want to be within the margins of the body text, but with different mark up than the 'example block' they are identified as right now. I want to keep the current example blocks too.

Can someone please help/advice me how I can make changes in the styles? Preferable I'd like to have the style directions as much as possible in CSS/PDF theme and not at every block within the asciidoc files. If creating an extension gives a decent solution, I'm all in for that, but I have no experience with Ruby and could use some directions. :)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Help in approach on making a maintainable document

Linda
I might have asked for too much at once :) I'll break it up in smaller questions. If something is not possible, please let me know, so I can find a different way of presenting the data.

Is it possible to resize an example block so it wraps tightly around text? (like the '%autowidth' attribute for tables)

Thanks in advance for any help offered!