classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Firefox extension "end of life"

ggrossetie
Hello,

As you may know, a new API is available to build browser extensions: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions

This new API is supported by Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Edge (soon). Another cool thing is that this API is fully compatible with multiprocess Firefox!

The Firefox extension was always a step behind the Chrome extension because it was way harder to implement new features in Firefox.
The current Chrome extension is working at 99% on Firefox 54+ since it's already using Web Extension APIs. I've not tested it but I believe the extension should also work fine on Firefox 52+.

So I was thinking about replacing the Firefox extension by the Chrome extension. Is there any objection ?

Do you think we should rename the "asciidoctor-chrome-extension" repository ?
 - "asciidoctor-browser-extension"
 - "asciidoctor-live-reload-browser-extension"
 - "asciidoctor-web-extension"
 - "asciidoctor-live-reload-web-extension"

How do we handle the "migration" ? I think we should update the README of "asciidoctor-firefox-addon" to point out that this project is deprecated.

Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Firefox extension "end of life"

Ted
ggrossetie wrote
So I was thinking about replacing the Firefox extension by the Chrome extension. Is there any objection ?

Do you think we should rename the "asciidoctor-chrome-extension" repository ?
 - "asciidoctor-browser-extension"
 - "asciidoctor-live-reload-browser-extension"
 - "asciidoctor-web-extension"
 - "asciidoctor-live-reload-web-extension"

How do we handle the "migration" ? I think we should update the README of "asciidoctor-firefox-addon" to point out that this project is deprecated.
No objections. This sounds fantastic.

I think since it will work across multiple browsers I would rename the Chrome to either "asciidoctor-browser-extension" or "asciidoctor-web-extension". I would drop the 'live-reload' phrase.

Your migration plan sounds good.

Thank you. I use the Chrome extension daily. It is starting to catch on where I work.

- Ted @TedAtCIS
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Firefox extension "end of life"

ggrossetie
Thanks for your input Ted.
I'm so glad you are enjoying the Chrome extension :))