Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Considering building a CMS that utilizes asciidoctor

joescii
Hey everyone!  New to the forum here... I recently got exposed to asciidoctor while writing my first article in NFJS Magazine last month.  I really enjoyed working with asciidoctor and have recently been floating around an idea to replace my janky wordpress blog with a CMS that uses asciidoctor.  In particular, I plan to use Lift to build it since that is what I'm most familiar with.  Rather than just create a one-off blog for myself, I'm gauging interest around both communities for creating something folks can use.  

Let me know if you would be interested in using such a CMS, and if you would be interested in contributing to the project.

Thanks,
Joe
Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Considering building a CMS that utilizes asciidoctor

Ted
I think most people would be in favor of using AsciiDoc formatting anywhere there is a need to write content. It would be great if every CMS had the option to do that.

I am currently working on a project where I keep AsciiDoc content in text files (or it could be text in a database). Now that you can use Asciidoctor.js in a web page, it is trivial to serve up AsciiDoc text and render it on the fly inside a template.
- Ted @TedAtCIS
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
In reply to this post by joescii
joescii wrote
I really enjoyed working with asciidoctor and have recently been floating around an idea to replace my janky wordpress blog with a CMS that uses asciidoctor.
I hope that Hugo will support it soon.

Sincerely,
Gour
Reply | Threaded
|

jonbullock
If your looking to move away from Wordpress then JBake (http://jbake.org) uses AsciidoctorJ to support content in AsciiDoc format. It's a static site/blog generator rather than a CMS though....
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
I'm watching with great interest.

I second Jon's recommendation to checkout JBake, even if you're just using it as a reference point for ideas about how to approach the problem. You could also evaluate Middleman.

I also want to point you to an AsciiDoc CMS that uses Asciidoctor named blogdiggity by Integrallis. It's more similar to what you're shooting for since it's a web application. What I like about blogdiggity is that it's a CMS aggregator, meaning it pulls content from multiple sources. Again, worth checking out as a reference point.

I'll also point you to a web UI frontend that JBoss was developing for the static site builder Awestruct. It provides a lightweight post manager, workflow and visual editor.

One thing that still seems to be majorly lacking in git-baked site / CMS tools is a collaboration workflow (lowercase workflow, not the big heavy stuff that we hate). It's incredibly painful to send a pull request to someone else's pull request on GitHub, which has to happen if you handle submissions using pull requests and want to suggest revisions. If you could have the web application manage this workflow, it would be worth a whole bunch.

To step back on that last point, in general, I think tools should focus on getting content from brain to publish as smoothly as possible. Every web-based CMS I've used does the opposite. It makes publishing content painful. (Maybe WordPress is an exception, but it does so by compromising the separation of content and presentation in the worst possible way).

Though I'm obviously biased, I agree with Ted that most people would be in favor of using AsciiDoc formatting everywhere there is a need to write content. The goal of the tool should be to help that content get from the editor window to the web (or where ever it's being published).

I hope those ideas & recommendations help a little.

Cheers!

-Dan

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 6:52 AM, joescii [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey everyone!  New to the forum here... I recently got exposed to asciidoctor while writing my first article in NFJS Magazine last month.  I really enjoyed working with asciidoctor and have recently been floating around an idea to replace my janky wordpress blog with a CMS that uses asciidoctor.  In particular, I plan to use Lift to build it since that is what I'm most familiar with.  Rather than just create a one-off blog for myself, I'm gauging interest around both communities for creating something folks can use.  

Let me know if you would be interested in using such a CMS, and if you would be interested in contributing to the project.

Thanks,
Joe

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Considering-building-a-CMS-that-utilizes-asciidoctor-tp1998.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--