Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Caelyf Asciidoctor Live Console

jnorthr
Thank you so much for all your hard graft. Have been so pleased with the whole idea of a  more convenient syntax. So we've started to build an asciidoctor live console based on the asciidoctorj toolkit. A preview demo is here: http://caelyfdoctor.eu01.aws.af.cm/  though there is a time-limit on my free service so that link may expire in a few weeks.

the edit choice takes you to a live edit session. it all kinda works like we want. The 'tech' choice is actually a web servlet we are building to allow the easy publications of .adoc etc

the codebase smells so bad i have to hold my nose when i work on it - and i wrote it !! Ouch !! Still much work to do. suggestions always welcome.
thx
jim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caelyf Asciidoctor Live Console

mojavelinux
Administrator
Excellent! I'm thrilled to see the tooling ecosystem around AsciiDoc and Asciidoctor grow and grow.

One bit of advice I can offer to those in the community working on tools is to work together to understand the needs of writers. In the software development world, I see a lot of tools on tradeshow floors that present really well, but wouldn't do me one bit of good for developing software. Historically, I see the same problems in the writing world (take, for instance, any WYSIWYG HTML editor).

Personally, what I find most useful in programming IDEs are the structural views such as the package explorer in Java or the index of symbols, keybindings and refactoring. These tools help me navigate the source code quickly and get the ideas from my mind to the screen.

Other writers may have a different perspective. Regardless, we should judge our tools based on the efficiency with which writers can do their job, not necessarily on how good the tool looks on the tradeshow floor.

I look forward to the innovative tools you're going to create! Let's keep challenging the way things are.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:11 AM, jnorthr [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you so much for all your hard graft. Have been so pleased with the whole idea of a  more convenient syntax. So we've started to build an asciidoctor live console based on the asciidoctorj toolkit. A preview demo is here: http://caelyfdoctor.eu01.aws.af.cm/  though there is a time-limit on my free service so that link may expire in a few weeks.

the edit choice takes you to a live edit session. it all kinda works like we want. The 'tech' choice is actually a web servlet we are building to allow the easy publications of .adoc etc

the codebase smells so bad i have to hold my nose when i work on it - and i wrote it !! Ouch !! Still much work to do. suggestions always welcome.
thx
jim

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Caelyf-Asciidoctor-Live-Console-tp1472.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caelyf Asciidoctor Live Console

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by jnorthr
Also, never be afraid to share your progress, no matter how rough you think it is. The early feedback you receive could change your whole way of thinking about it, and thus extremely valuable and time saving. Or, it could just give you motivation to continue. Plus, we want to support your efforts!

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent! I'm thrilled to see the tooling ecosystem around AsciiDoc and Asciidoctor grow and grow.

One bit of advice I can offer to those in the community working on tools is to work together to understand the needs of writers. In the software development world, I see a lot of tools on tradeshow floors that present really well, but wouldn't do me one bit of good for developing software. Historically, I see the same problems in the writing world (take, for instance, any WYSIWYG HTML editor).

Personally, what I find most useful in programming IDEs are the structural views such as the package explorer in Java or the index of symbols, keybindings and refactoring. These tools help me navigate the source code quickly and get the ideas from my mind to the screen.

Other writers may have a different perspective. Regardless, we should judge our tools based on the efficiency with which writers can do their job, not necessarily on how good the tool looks on the tradeshow floor.

I look forward to the innovative tools you're going to create! Let's keep challenging the way things are.

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:11 AM, jnorthr [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

thx
jim

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Caelyf-Asciidoctor-Live-Console-tp1472.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--

--