Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
65 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AsciidoctorJ Block Processor Problems

Robert.Panzer
Given that Sean wants to donate his source code I would certainly happily add it to that repository.

The only extension that is currently in there in fact only works with 1.6.0 as well.:)

So we should only consider moving the asciidoctorj-extension-lab repository into the asciidoctor organization, if Dan is ok with it, once 1.6.0 is released.

Best regards
Robert
Reply | Threaded
|

sean.osterberg
Sure, I have no problem sharing the code, though it's ugly right now and should use freemarker or something similar. When I get some free time I'd also love to contribute some more examples. I've found that extensions are critical when you want to manage large amounts of content, let alone doing something out of the box. Examples I'd like to see:

- Adding attributes to an existing block/style, such as source code, tables, headings for images, etc.
- Processing custom blocks for common scenarios such as adding tabs to output, adding gists, custom video blocks, diagrams, etc.
- Validation, which could be everything from enforcing consistent syntax (since there are many ways to do things in Asciidoctor), validating links, ensuring a referenced image actually exists in the selected path, spell checking, etc.

Some of these fall under "best practices," which would also be something I'd like to see and could contribute to when I feel more confident.
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by Robert.Panzer

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Robert.Panzer [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
So we should only consider moving the asciidoctorj-extension-lab repository into the asciidoctor organization, if Dan is ok with it, once 1.6.0 is released.

+1 I'm in favor of it!

-Dan

--
Dan Allen | @mojavelinux | http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by sean.osterberg

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM, sean.osterberg [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no problem sharing the code, though it's ugly right now and should use freemarker or something similar.

Never underestimate the usefulness of a starting point. Many of the extensions I've added to the labs seem ugly at first, but provide important context that allow others to take it to the next level. And even the ugliness helps reveal where the API can be better. If you still feel unsure, just write a note that you know it is quick and dirty, but hopefully it is helpful to some people. Code can always be cleaner, so we're all in this together.

-Dan

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by sean.osterberg

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM, sean.osterberg [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Some of these fall under "best practices," which would also be something I'd like to see and could contribute to when I feel more confident.

Excellent! I envision a best practices section on asciidoctor.org. What's important is that we capture the information. The more we capture, the more clear it will be how to structure it on the site...and we can cross that bridge when it comes time.

Cheers,

-Dan

--