classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Asciidoctor launches you into digital publishing with Asciidoctor EPUB3

mojavelinux
Administrator
After several long weeks tweaking HTML and CSS and pumping sample files into my phone and tablets to see what works and what doesn't, I'm thrilled to announce the launch of another important piece in the native Asciidoctor toolchain, **Asciidoctor EPUB3**.

Asciidoctor EPUB3 is a set of Asciidoctor extensions built on the upcoming Asciidoctor 1.5.0 release for converting AsciiDoc documents directly to the EPUB3 and KF8/MOBI e-book formats.

https://github.com/opendevise/asciidoctor-epub3

But Asciidoctor EPUB3 is way more than just a converter from AsciiDoc to EPUB3 and KF8/MOBI. It's a carefully crafted tool to help you create aesthetic, professional, easy-to-read e-books. I mean, let’s face it, many of the technical e-books out there—especially those produced from software documentation—are hideous. That's a big reason why I think that EPUB3 has been such a dud so far. But people love doing stuff--lot's of stuff--on their phones and tablets, and that includes reading. So, let's disrupt the status quo!

I've included several screenshots in the README, taken from my phone, to showcase how the output looks, but I encourage you to try it out to see for yourself. You can also check out the screenshots I took of the March 2014 issue of NFJS, the Magazine, which was produced using Asciidoctor EPUB3.

I'm very interested to here your feedback and continue advancing the project with you. I regret that it took so long to get the source code published. I did everything in the wrong order this time around by not setting up the repository first. It ended up being a lot of effort to get the source code organized so I could publish it. Lesson learned. I'll be sure get the community involved from the very start next time.

If you are looking for a place to start in the README, you might be interested in:

Let's make some noise!

Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Asciidoctor launches you into digital publishing with Asciidoctor EPUB3

Ted
This is very exciting news. Thank you for all your work on this. I will use it.
- Ted @TedAtCIS
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Great! We definitely look forward to your input.

Enjoy!

-Dan

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Ted [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is very exciting news. Thank you for all your work on this. I will use it.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Asciidoctor-launches-you-into-digital-publishing-with-Asciidoctor-EPUB3-tp1683p1741.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
Hello Dan,

mojavelinux wrote
Asciidoctor EPUB3 is a set of Asciidoctor extensions built on the upcoming
Asciidoctor 1.5.0 release for converting AsciiDoc documents directly to the
EPUB3 and KF8/MOBI e-book formats.
After trying for quite some time to keep Markdown and considering to use reST, I finally decided to settle on AsciiDoc and after trying Asciidoctor on my Linux machine, I'm sold out.

Ability to quickly write using semantically rich-enough markup and to convert it to EPUB (amongst other formats) and all that without depending on DocBook toolchain is certainly part of the dream-land.

Thank you for all your work on pushing Asciidoc(tor) and providing a way to get docs on my Kobo reader.

Too bad I'm not familiar to help more - I'm not familiar at all with Ruby and learning Go at the moment, but will try to give some contribution back to the community.

Sincerely,
Gour
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Gour,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! We're glad to have you around. I'm thrilled to hear that Asciidoctor is helping you make it to dreamland and get docs on your Kobo reader. That's exactly what we're hoping to achieve!

You're helping already just by showing up, using Asciidoctor and providing feedback. One day, you'll see something you want changed and before you know it, you'll see something you want changed and you'll know (or learn) what to do when that day arrives.

Speaking of Go, I definitely want to see Asciidoctor implemented in Go one day. There's a prototype out there, so who knows...maybe it will provide something fun to hack on. See https://github.com/VonC/asciidocgo

Thanks for being part of the group!

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM, gour [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Dan,

mojavelinux wrote
After trying for quite some time to keep Markdown and considering to use reST, I finally decided to settle on AsciiDoc and after trying Asciidoctor on my Linux machine, I'm sold out.

Ability to quickly write using semantically rich-enough markup and to convert it to EPUB (amongst other formats) and all that without depending on DocBook toolchain is certainly part of the dream-land.

Thank you for all your work on pushing Asciidoc(tor) and providing a way to get docs on my Kobo reader.

Too bad I'm not familiar to help more - I'm not familiar at all with Ruby and learning Go at the moment, but will try to give some contribution back to the community.

Sincerely,
Gour

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Asciidoctor-launches-you-into-digital-publishing-with-Asciidoctor-EPUB3-tp1683p2009.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by gour
Btw, have you seen the post I made when I discovered AsciiDoc? It seems like we had a similar journey...except I was only using AsciiDoc Py back then, not Asciidoctor. If I had Asciidoctor, there might have been more exclamation points in the post :)

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gour,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! We're glad to have you around. I'm thrilled to hear that Asciidoctor is helping you make it to dreamland and get docs on your Kobo reader. That's exactly what we're hoping to achieve!

You're helping already just by showing up, using Asciidoctor and providing feedback. One day, you'll see something you want changed and before you know it, you'll see something you want changed and you'll know (or learn) what to do when that day arrives.

Speaking of Go, I definitely want to see Asciidoctor implemented in Go one day. There's a prototype out there, so who knows...maybe it will provide something fun to hack on. See https://github.com/VonC/asciidocgo

Thanks for being part of the group!

Cheers,

-Dan

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM, gour [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Dan,

mojavelinux wrote

Sincerely,
Gour

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/Asciidoctor-launches-you-into-digital-publishing-with-Asciidoctor-EPUB3-tp1683p2009.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:06:58 -0700 (PDT)
"mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dan,

and thank you for your replies.

> Thanks for the words of encouragement! We're glad to have you around.
> I'm thrilled to hear that Asciidoctor is helping you make it to
> dreamland and get docs on your Kobo reader. That's exactly what we're
> hoping to achieve!

:-)

> You're helping already just by showing up, using Asciidoctor and
> providing feedback. One day, you'll see something you want changed
> and before you know it, you'll see something you want changed and
> you'll know (or learn) what to do when that day arrives.

Yeah, I think so. ;)

> Speaking of Go, I definitely want to see Asciidoctor implemented in
> Go one day. There's a prototype out there, so who knows...maybe it
> will provide something fun to hack on. See
> https://github.com/VonC/asciidocgo

It's not because I'm into Go, but I really believe that it would be perfect
match for AsciiDoctor, mostly beacuse of super-easy deployment which is, imho,
more user-friendly for not so tech-savvy users.

Personally, I'm running Debian Sid, but still do not like when/if I've to
fiddle with manually installing  (Ruby) gems if the stuff is not available for
my distro.

In a similar vein I also like Fossil DVCS being single binary - super easy
deployment although I'm aware that most of the stuff is happening @Github.

Otoh, before Asciidoctor, AsciiDoc was not conquering as today's tornado. :-)

> Thanks for being part of the group!

Thank you for encouragement!

Sincerely,
Gour
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:21:02 -0700 (PDT)
"mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Btw, have you seen the post I made when I discovered AsciiDoc? It
> seems like we had a similar journey...except I was only using
> AsciiDoc Py back then, not Asciidoctor. If I had Asciidoctor, there
> might have been more exclamation points in the post :)

Sure. I read it and it was the major 'selling-point' to abandon idea of
possibly using reST. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment