AsciiDoctor PDF & slide-show presentations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AsciiDoctor PDF & slide-show presentations

gour
After seeing the great output produced by AsciiDoctor PDf I wonder what would be procedure (when writing AsciiDoctor markup) to use the same tool to create stunning slide-show presentations with it?

Disclaimer: I belong to the old school and prefer handling PDFs instead of 'modern' JS-based stuff using bunch of Node tools.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AsciiDoctor PDF & slide-show presentations

lodestone
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
lodestone wrote
Well, that's still based on JS stuff, while I'd like to use pure AsciiDoctor markup + AsciiDoctor PDF and produce just *.pdf as the end result.
Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Ted
This post was updated on .
gour wrote
... I'd like to use pure AsciiDoctor markup + AsciiDoctor PDF and produce just *.pdf as the end result.
So you would create a PDF to be used as a slide show? I would never think to do that, but here goes...

You could use the experimental Page Break <<< and split the pages into slides. Try rendering this with Asciidoctor-PDF

= PDF Slideshow
:experimental:
:pdf-page-size: 9in x 6in

== Slide 1

Use the next and previous page buttons to navigate this 'slideshow'

<<<

== Slide 2

Here's another 'slide'

<<<

== Three

* Three
* Three
* Three

<<<

== The End

This concludes this experiment

NOTE: use :pdf-page-size: 9in x 6in to make a landscape sized PDF
- Ted @TedAtCIS
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
Ted wrote
So you would create a PDF to be used as a slide show? I would never think to do that, but here goes...
Really?

LaTeX has e.g. Beamer package which is very  popular for creating presentations.

There is also another TeX macro package called ConTeXt which is capable of producing high-quality typeset output.

Moreover, having presentation in PDF it means it's portable  - one can put it on USB stick and present using any PDF viewer, without the need for Internet connection and/or so many Node-based dependencies.

You could use the experimental Page Break <<< and split the pages into slides. Try rendering this with Asciidoctor-PDF
That could do the job. Thank you!
Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Ted
gour wrote
Moreover, having presentation in PDF it means it's portable  - one can put it on USB stick and present using any PDF viewer, without the need for Internet connection and/or so many Node-based dependencies.
I typically use Asciidoctor Reveal.js which also generates a portable slide deck with all the HTML and JavaScript that I have put on a USB stick. No Internet needed, just a modern web browser. You get some extra bells and whistles compared to a PDF.

But you've opened my eyes. I think using PDF would be good a good solution the next time I need to hand someone a presentation. Everyone knows how it works and PDF readers are generally installed on most machines.

- Ted @TedAtCIS