classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Advice and feedback on using Asciidoctor to write a book

Antoine Sabot-Durand
Hi,

I'm planning to use Asciidoctor to write a book (not an electronic doc but a real book that should be converted to dead tree by a publisher).

I wanted to know if someone has feedback about doing this especially regarding tooling for third parties reader / reviewer. I'd really want to avoid adoc -> word conversion and vice versa and yet provide something rather easy for readers.

A selling speech for my publisher would also be welcome since it'll be probably their first book out of MS Word.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Antoine
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice and feedback on using Asciidoctor to write a book

apnadkarni
Not advice as such, but O'Reilly supports asciidoc as part of their Atlas publishing system with support for multiple output formats (hardcopy, epub, pdf etc.) See https://atlas.oreilly.com/.

Not sure if their version of asciidoc syntax is 100% compatible with asciidoctor though.

/Ashok
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice and feedback on using Asciidoctor to write a book

mattneub
Indeed, O'Reilly now uses Asciidoctor as the basis of their Atlas authoring system. They go directly from AsciiDoc text, by way of Asciidoctor, to HTML, and from there to PDF, epub, and other digital formats. When I write my books for O'Reilly, I can use their system to generate for myself a PDF of the manuscript at any time. When the book is finished, it is this very same PDF that is sent to the publisher for just-in-time dead-tree publication. When a customer buys a paper copy of my books at Amazon, what that customer sees on the page is exactly what I saw in the PDF I generated straight from AsciiDoc text.

See also my post here: http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/O-Reilly-Atlas-tp872p4640.html