classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
41 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A candidate for the new home of the Asciidoctor discussion list

mojavelinux
Administrator
For the sake of our sanity, I'm looking for a better place to host the Asciidoctor discussion list that is more user-friendly and not plagued by spam. An opportunity has presented itself and I'd like to get your thoughts on it.

Discourse {1} is considered by many as the best in open source discussion software these days...and certainly looks very modern. (One day, we might even get native AsciiDoc support in the body text). I don't have the bandwidth to run the discussion list myself, nor do I enjoy maintaining infrastructure things.

Fortunately, there is a company that offers hosting for Discourse, aptly named discoursehosting.com. I reached out to them to ask if they offer a free plan for open source projects. They do! They just ask that we credit them for their support of the project. Here's the message I received:

We've discussed this and we're willing to offer you free hosting for your project. 

In exchange we'd like you to place a small sponsorship message on the bottom of your forum, and tweet about our sponsorship on both your personal and Asciidoctor account. 

Let me know if this is ok with you and we will set up a sponsored plan for you.

I don't mind tweeting about the sponsorship as long no one in the Asciidoctor community has a substantial objection.

My understanding is that we can have discuss.asciidoctor.org resolve to the new discussion list. I'll also see if we can import the existing content. Assuming we can do both of those things, what do you think about migrating the discussion list to discoursehosting.com?

Here's an example of a discussion list running on discoursehosting.com: http://www.communityleadershipforum.com
Jono Bacon gives some thoughts about the good and the bad here: http://www.communityleadershipforum.com/t/use-of-discourse-for-the-community/131/2

If you have other suggestions about where to migrate, I'm interested to hear those ideas too. An option I'm not considering is Google Groups since it a) isn't open source software, b) requires a Google account, c) isn't much better than an old-fashioned mailinglist.

Cheers,

-Dan

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A candidate for the new home of the Asciidoctor discussion list

LightGuardjp
+1

Sent from Mailbox

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:51 AM, mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:

For the sake of our sanity, I'm looking for a better place to host the Asciidoctor discussion list that is more user-friendly and not plagued by spam. An opportunity has presented itself and I'd like to get your thoughts on it.

Discourse {1} is considered by many as the best in open source discussion software these days...and certainly looks very modern. (One day, we might even get native AsciiDoc support in the body text). I don't have the bandwidth to run the discussion list myself, nor do I enjoy maintaining infrastructure things.

Fortunately, there is a company that offers hosting for Discourse, aptly named discoursehosting.com. I reached out to them to ask if they offer a free plan for open source projects. They do! They just ask that we credit them for their support of the project. Here's the message I received:

We've discussed this and we're willing to offer you free hosting for your project. 

In exchange we'd like you to place a small sponsorship message on the bottom of your forum, and tweet about our sponsorship on both your personal and Asciidoctor account. 

Let me know if this is ok with you and we will set up a sponsored plan for you.

I don't mind tweeting about the sponsorship as long no one in the Asciidoctor community has a substantial objection.

My understanding is that we can have discuss.asciidoctor.org resolve to the new discussion list. I'll also see if we can import the existing content. Assuming we can do both of those things, what do you think about migrating the discussion list to discoursehosting.com?

Here's an example of a discussion list running on discoursehosting.com: http://www.communityleadershipforum.com
Jono Bacon gives some thoughts about the good and the bad here: http://www.communityleadershipforum.com/t/use-of-discourse-for-the-community/131/2

If you have other suggestions about where to migrate, I'm interested to hear those ideas too. An option I'm not considering is Google Groups since it a) isn't open source software, b) requires a Google account, c) isn't much better than an old-fashioned mailinglist.

Cheers,

-Dan

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/A-candidate-for-the-new-home-of-the-Asciidoctor-discussion-list-tp1860.html
To start a new topic under Asciidoctor :: Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Asciidoctor :: Discussion, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

rwinch
+1

PS For what it is worth, we are using discourse for commenting at spring.io and I have nothing but good things to say about using it.
Ted
Reply | Threaded
|

Ted
+1 too.
- Ted @TedAtCIS
Reply | Threaded
|

paulrayner
Yes, please. +1.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Ted [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 too.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/A-candidate-for-the-new-home-of-the-Asciidoctor-discussion-list-tp1860p1866.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Anthonny
In reply to this post by mojavelinux
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

mgreau
+1
mgreau.com/posts => HubPress Blog :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuck
My only suggestion is to make sure you can (and do) export data regularly and decide if it can [easily] be imported somewhere else.

This is in case the small sponsorship message at the bottom becomes a distraction, the frequency of tweets they request exceeds your comfort level, or they become unable to continue sponsorship and the costs exceed the available budget.

I'm not expecting the worst, just anticipating changing needs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuck
Oh, and +1 to moving if that's what you want to do. I think most people around the project are adaptable.

Except for that one user....
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by Chuck
Thanks for the insight Chuck! Good news about the export. According to the FAQ, it's enabled:

> You can download a copy of your files and database in the Backups menu of the DiscourseHosting control panel at any time. This copy consists of a full database dump and an archive file of the uploaded files and avatars.

Here's the page from the docs that describes importing and exporting:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/move-your-discourse-instance-to-a-different-server/15721

Since Discourse is an open source project, I anticipate that competing software will provide importers. Since we have a database dump, in the worse case we can write our own. In fact, now I know that it's possible to import the old messages!

> I think most people around the project are adaptable. Except for that one user.... 

That user must like spam. We'll have to disappoint them ;)

-Dan

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Chuck [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
My only suggestion is to make sure you can (and do) export data regularly and decide if it can [easily] be imported somewhere else.

This is in case the small sponsorship message at the bottom becomes a distraction, the frequency of tweets they request exceeds your comfort level, or they become unable to continue sponsorship and the costs exceed the available budget.

I'm not expecting the worst, just anticipating changing needs.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/A-candidate-for-the-new-home-of-the-Asciidoctor-discussion-list-tp1860p1873.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by rwinch
For what it is worth, we are using discourse for commenting at spring.io and I have nothing but good things to say about using it.

Thanks for the reference. That's great news. In fact, it gives me the idea that perhaps we can run the blog comments on asciidoctor.org through Discourse as well!

-Dan

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:32 AM, rwinch [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

PS For what it is worth, we are using discourse for commenting at spring.io and I have nothing but good things to say about using it.

http://discuss.asciidoctor.org/A-candidate-for-the-new-home-of-the-Asciidoctor-discussion-list-tp1860p1865.html
NAML

--
Reply | Threaded
|

ggrossetie
+1 Discourse is great!
Reply | Threaded
|

tbrooke
+1 Discourse is great
Reply | Threaded
|

ggrossetie
Any news on this subject ? Can I help on any matter ?

Guillaume
Reply | Threaded
|

ysb33r
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
In reply to this post by ggrossetie
I've had several e-mail exchanges with DiscourseHosting.com and, although they are willing to offer us free hosting as an open source project, I don't get a good feeling from the terms. First, they want us to advertise our use of discoursehosting.com in a banner on our site and the forums, which I think goes against the spirit of the free offer (it's not really free after all). They are also trying to charge us for handilng the import of old threads from the Nabble forum.

I think we should either look for a different host who is willing to extend genuine support or run our own instance (though I may regret suggesting the latter). If we are still committed to Discourse, which I believe is the right choice, we can start working on the migration of old threads immediately. We don't have to wait until we decide where to host it.

Thus, the next steps is to figure out how to import the existing threads from Nabble into a Discourse instance...even just a local one. Nabble can give us a backup file, which is a Postresql backup file. I'll post it once I strip out any authorization information.

Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
I managed to get the database dump working locally. What Nabble gives you isn't directly importable into Postgresql, but I managed to recreate the database so I could create a proper dump. The result is ~ 4MB.

-Dan

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've had several e-mail exchanges with DiscourseHosting.com and, although they are willing to offer us free hosting as an open source project, I don't get a good feeling from the terms. First, they want us to advertise our use of discoursehosting.com in a banner on our site and the forums, which I think goes against the spirit of the free offer (it's not really free after all). They are also trying to charge us for handilng the import of old threads from the Nabble forum.

I think we should either look for a different host who is willing to extend genuine support or run our own instance (though I may regret suggesting the latter). If we are still committed to Discourse, which I believe is the right choice, we can start working on the migration of old threads immediately. We don't have to wait until we decide where to host it.

Thus, the next steps is to figure out how to import the existing threads from Nabble into a Discourse instance...even just a local one. Nabble can give us a backup file, which is a Postresql backup file. I'll post it once I strip out any authorization information.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator
Here's the dump file to play around with. I've stripped out any password fields and set the e-mail addresses to <username>@example.com just to be conservative. We can use the real e-mail addresses on final import in an effort to preserve identities.

You should be able to import using:

$ gunzip asciidoctor_ml-2014-09-07.sql.gz
$ psql -d asciidoctor_ml asciidoctor_ml-2014-09-07.sql

You'll need to, of course, create the asciidoctor_ml first as the postgres user:

postgres=# CREATE DATABASE asciidoctor_ml OWNER your_username;

The goal is to get the data into a Discourse instance. I'm not super concerned about lining up users with posts as long as we preserve the information. We can also strip out any rich formatting. Again, the key is to keep the knowledge for historical reasons.

-Dan

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I managed to get the database dump working locally. What Nabble gives you isn't directly importable into Postgresql, but I managed to recreate the database so I could create a proper dump. The result is ~ 4MB.

-Dan

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

mojavelinux
Administrator

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
$ psql -d asciidoctor_ml asciidoctor_ml-2014-09-07.sql

$ psql -d asciidoctor_ml -f asciidoctor_ml-2014-09-07.sql

--
Reply | Threaded
|

gour
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 21:38:44 -0700 (PDT)
"mojavelinux [via Asciidoctor :: Discussion]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we should either look for a different host who is willing to
> extend genuine support or run our own instance (though I may regret
> suggesting the latter). If we are still committed to Discourse, which
> I believe is the right choice, we can start working on the migration
> of old threads immediately. We don't have to wait until we decide
> where to host it.

I do not mind where you host mailing list as long as it would have
ability to subscribe to Gmane (nntp gateway) which I, being an old
school, consider as superior to modern web forums.

Although I follow quite some mailing lists, Ascidoctor is the 2nd one
not having Gmane subscription (the other one is one at Yahoo).

With gmane, there is no need to filter one's inbox in order to prevent
cluttering it, archives are automatic, no need for separate
registration, easy (un)subscribe etc.

However, I'm not sure whether discourse allows it. :-(

Sincerely,
Gour

p.s. If you check Gmane homepage (http://gmane.org/) it says: "There are
currently 14,603 mailing lists subscribed to Gmane, with a total of
144,259,827 messages."